Timberline 850 - Burned paint

Bigbird

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Greetings,

Just noticed burned off paint in the lower left rear corner. Should I simply repaint it or contact Traeger for assistance? It's only three months old.

You can try calling Traeger, some have had grills replaced. That spot is the hottest area on the 850 and many have had paint fail there, especially if run at 500F often.

You can easily just clean up the area and use some hi temp semi gloss paint.

I posted many improvement threads for the 850, one is about insulating the grill, including the rear which fixes that issue and improves efficiency.

Keep us posted!

You can try calling Traeger, some have had grills replaced. That spot is the hottest area on the 850 and many have had paint fail there, especially if run at 500F often.

I posted many improvement threads for the 850, one is about insulating the grill, including the rear which fixes that issue and improves efficiency.

Keep us posted!
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll try using some hi temp semi gloss paint. No worries as I love my Traeger 850!

I stumbled upon this forum today, but I purchased my grill in June of 2020, and started noticing the bubbling and rusting in November, and it progressively got worse. I see that some have gotten their grills replaced, but Traeger is telling me that its not an option for me? How did you guys get replacements? I only cook low and slow, and only cooked at 500 once.

IMG_2731.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg

I suspect Traeger has put the brakes on replacing grills for this. Most BBQ companies don't warranty paint.

That is the Timberline hot spot. You can paint it, or just sand it a little and spray with Grill Grate Spray Oil. This will "Blue" the steel, imparting black rust preventing coating. Just spray it before cooking each time and it will build up and stay black. I learned this from the Mad BBQ Scientist where he treats offset smoker fire boxes this way.

Only doing some insulation mods inside will tone down this hot spot.

Anyone interested in exploring legal action?

I suspect Traeger has put the brakes on replacing grills for this. Most BBQ companies don't warranty paint.

That is the Timberline hot spot. You can paint it, or just sand it a little and spray with Grill Grate Spray Oil. This will "Blue" the steel, imparting black rust preventing coating. Just spray it before cooking each time and it will build up and stay black. I learned this from the Mad BBQ Scientist where he treats offset smoker fire boxes this way.

Only doing some insulation mods inside will tone down this hot spot.

While I agree with your solution, NO customer should have to deal with this with a $2,000.00 grill. Not acceptable in any form. Nope, Nada, Nein, Nyet. You spend 2 grand and this happens. Not acceptable.

While I agree with your solution, NO customer should have to deal with this with a $2,000.00 grill. Not acceptable in any form. Nope, Nada, Nein, Nyet. You spend 2 grand and this happens. Not acceptable.
I agree. I have the same problem with my timeline 650. Xmas gift 3 months old. They blame it on grease and refuse to fix it. I posted a question about if anyone is interested in exploring legal action and was flagged for inappropriate advertising/spam. There was an interesting lawsuit about treager pellets not containing actual mesquite. Not sure if that had changed. If they send me the replacement part(the cylinder) it do the labor to disassemble and reassemble. But no... what’s the solution more? To use 2,000 degree enamel? Why doesn’t treager use it already? why wouldn’t you build a grill that can withstand 1,000 degree heat. My grill did not have grease build up. The lady that called me today said it was the grease pan causing the problem and said it wasn’t installed right. The next lady said grease trap. Said you need to clean it after 2 -3 times use. The manual doesn’t say 2-3 times. If the grease trap caught on fire why is the paint that is peeling to the side of the trap? Wouldnt there be a huge swath of burnt paint. My peeling is on the front part. The grease trap is on the side. The better Business bureau has lots of complaints about the grills including many about peeling and bubbling paint.

I’m going to rent a high temp thermal imager and do a temp test to see how the heat spreads out.

Keep us posted!
Do you have a link to any of those threads?

I’m going to rent a high temp thermal imager and do a temp test to see how the heat spreads out.
Like this?

I shot these after I insulated my Timberline, so the bottom rear corners that were the hottest are now much cooler.

Attachments

• A0717AE9-22E7-481B-B4D3-CB5D8FD47958.jpeg
    A0717AE9-22E7-481B-B4D3-CB5D8FD47958.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 0406D456-89A4-42A8-90F6-72F216DB47B2.jpeg
    0406D456-89A4-42A8-90F6-72F216DB47B2.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 41

I recommend messaging Traeger on FaceBook. Include your pics. They have been pretty responsive to my customer service issues in this fashion.

My Timberline 850 grease channel and chute black coating/paint flaked off after my first ever cook. I seasoned the grill as per the instructions. I called Traeger and they assured me the grill was covered under warranty, but that they were sending me a new grill channel. Turned out that was just the grill chute cover, I can't quite tell if the grill channel is even replaceable (vs. welded into the body?).

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it safe to use? Will the steel just rust through now that the paint burned off?

First picture is after one cook (4 steaks, not greasy, 225F but finished at 500 per the Traeger reverse sear recipe). Second picture is after a rack of ribs and some vegetables, also not greasy.

IMG_6297.jpeg

IMG_6324.jpeg

Back