Timberline 1300 Smoke

DeanC

Reaction score
Grill
timberline 1300
Hey all. New to the forum and new to using a pellet bbq. Picked up the TImberline 1300 and it is a beast. I have been playing with temps and what not. A quick question though. Seems if I get the traeger above 250deg or so I dont think I am getting alot of smoke, nothing noticeable any way. I am curious if thats how it is supposed to work. If I want more smoke it will have to be lower temps. I do plan on cooking at lower temps mostly. I am just curious if the minimal smoke at higher temps is normal. Thanks

Welcome! It is normal. Even at lower temps you won't see much smoke physically. Once you reach 275 you are grilling more than smoking. Smoking temps are 165 to 225 for the most part. If you want more smoke flavour use the super smoke feature which only works between 165 and 225. Cheers.

I just purchased a smoke tube from Amazon. They costs from $12 and up. Fill them with pellets and light with a propane torch. They are supposed to give lots of extra smoke for 4 to 5 hours when filled all the way up. I am going to give it a try when smoking brisket at a faster cooking 275 degrees. I am thinking four to 5 hours with smoke tube then wrap the brisket for the rest of the cook. My goal is to get the smoke I want before wrapping. I don't want a dried out charred brisket but 15 hours is too long for me.

Back