Timberline 1300 - how often do you have to prime grease trap?

DarienJim

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300, Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis
I just got a new Timberline 1300 over the holiday season. I have done maybe 10 smokes so far.

Some how I missed the need to prime the grease trap in set up. I see the need to do this in the owners manual and have done it now.

My question is how often do I need to do this? I’ve looked all over YouTube and Reddit and cannot find an answer.

I just noticed that I accidentally posted this in the wrong section. Can a moderator move this to the appropriate area.

I misses it also what page in the manual...

John S

This is the manual that came with mine new: https://traeger-web-public-prod.s3-...rline-d2/en/Timberline+OM+-+English+-+USA.pdf

The grease trap is discussed on page 26 but does not say it has to be primed. But I also saw this owners manual online:

Page 11 discussing the priming but not how often.

Traegar also posted this YouTube video in 2017 but again does not say how often:

So marked me down as confused....

John S

yes seen that video too. It seems to imply you should do it when its new and maybe that’s it?

Perhaps, but what is the part about re-filling if, is this a water tray ?

I really don’t know or understand. I’m hoping someone from Traegar will see this thread and respond.

The gen II TL 850's do not look like the one in the video and there is no mention of priming.

Well that might be why my particular owners manual did not require it.

I did prime it with a cup of linseed oil and made quite a mess.

Well that might be why my particular owners manual did not require it.

I did prime it with a cup of linseed oil and made quite a mess.
Linseed oil? That is furniture polish, Does the inside look like the video? Mine has a different set up with a cover over the chute on the left side.

The newer 850 Timberline's looks like this and I suspect the 1300 does as well.

Attachments

• 6E811AFE-9A2A-43E5-A70F-734DAA6FE5F4.jpeg
    6E811AFE-9A2A-43E5-A70F-734DAA6FE5F4.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 132
The newer 850 Timberline's looks like this and I suspect the 1300 does as well.
Yep that is how mine looks. Do you happen to know what the dimensions of the lower grate are on a TL-850?
Mines covered up for today and I'm old and lazy.;)

Yes, priming the grease trap with water is a one-time requirement when you season your grill for the first time.

Latest Discussions

Back