Timberline 1300 and 850 - Door Seal Effectiveness Question

Spanky

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 810, Cuisinart Woodcreek 4in1 Pellet Grill, ThermoWorks Singals, ThermoPen MK4. Inkbird IBBQ 4
Timberline 1300 and 850 users.

Does your door seal effectively when closed and force all of the smoke/exhaust to exit thru the rear downdraft exhaust system ?

I ask as my Traeger Costco Silverton 810 with Rear Downdraft Exhaust System seem to exhaust over 50 percent (my estimate) of the smoke/exhaust thru the door (front, sides, and top). I know some have added an aftermarket door seal to allow the Silverton door to seal better but wondering it the Timberline door seal is effective as received and if the rear downdraft exhaust system is effective.

I am asking as I am starting to evaluate what would be a future upgrade and the double walled insulated Timberline is on the list.

Thanks

My TL 1300 has no leaks at all. Smoke only exits through the exhaust in the rear.
I have done none of the mods or upgrades to it, and don’t plan on it, because at this point, I don’t really think it needs it.

No leak issues with my T1300, but the seal does seem to come loose a bit. I have gotten into the habit of checking the pins before every session and pushing the one or two back in.

No leak issues with my T1300, but the seal does seem to come loose a bit. I have gotten into the habit of checking the pins before every session and pushing the one or two back in.
Mine used to come out, but if I clean the sticky residue off the pit in that seal area before I cook, it seems to prevent it.
I imagine a thin film of high temp silicone lube would stop it also.

I had an S810 and added a BBQ felt strip all the way around which stopped the leaks, I also traded it in within 6 weeks for a T 1300 , the advantage of buying from Costco….
The T1300 did not leak…
also while the Timberline are double walled, they are not insulated… see RemE’s project on this forum on Timberline insulation….

Last edited:

Does your door seal effectively when closed and force all of the smoke/exhaust to exit thru the rear downdraft exhaust system ?

I ask as my Traeger Costco Silverton 810 with Rear Downdraft Exhaust System seem to exhaust over 50 percent (my estimate) of the smoke/exhaust thru the door (front, sides, and top). I know some have added an aftermarket door seal to allow the Silverton door to seal better but wondering it the Timberline door seal is effective as received and if the rear downdraft exhaust system is effective.

I am asking as I am starting to evaluate what would be a future upgrade and the double walled insulated Timberline is on the list.

Thanks

Thanks

1/2" x 1/8" Lavalock High Temp Nomex BBQ HT gasket smoker seal, self stick grey​

Visit the LavaLock Store
4.6 out of 5 stars 2,220 ratings

Amazon'sChoicein Outdoor Smokers by LavaLock

How did this thread go from “does your Timberline leak smoke” to “order Lavalock”? 😂

My Silverton 810 & Pro 34 were leaking around the door. I order Lavalock high temp seal, installed around the door land - leaking better.

Thanks everyone for your great information and input.

So my take is the Timberline door design does seal smoke well and force the exhaust thru the designed downdraft rear exhaust. That is what I was hoping for. Sounds like with time you might have to clean and or re-insert the seal pins nto keep it working well. To be expected.

I know I could easily add the aftermarket door seal and improve on the Silverton 810 as received but I am disappointed that Traeger did not have a passion for their product and make it better on what I consider a mid-level offering in their product line. I am an engineer so often think of cost, value, and customer satisfaction. My take is $10 USD or less they could have added a great door seal. Charge me the 10 and make it right. Sometimes it no fun knowing more and thinking too much.

Now my problem with the Timberline is I have to consider adding time and money to upgrade to RemiEs true insulation project. As the Timberline is really double walled with air gap and not insulated. Traeger please charge $50 more and add true insulation so I do not have too 😢. Also add a 304 SS exterior material option for $125 additional. Save the paint that scratches and can bake off. It really is easier not to have too much information and overthink everything. (My nephew is perfectly happy with his Ironwood 650 as received including the Traeger air temp and meat probe.)

PS. Should I buy a thermal imaging camera to collect test data before and after insulation work as I only have a laser infrared laser Temperature Gun. Thankfully no as this fine group already has the information available. This group is great at helping and empowering me to spend more. The benefit is I never have any issues thinking what my lovely wife's next gift will be. :unsure:

Thanks again
Best regards
Spanky

(Path forward + ??? Timberline 1300/Yoder/Memphis/Coyote/Twin Eagle or possibly save the money and purchase "liquid smoke" and meat tenderizer and have the wife start cooking again)

As you found, Timberline's don't leak at all. The seal is nice and thick so the hood closes with a nice cushy feel.

Insulation isn't at all mandatory, it saves fuel but does limit the use of smoke tubes a bit as the extra heat they add can cause controller instability at low temps on warm days.

But being able to place your open palm on the insulated hood of a grill hitting 450F is sweet.

Regarding the door seal clips, I did a deep dive on them and posted the fix. With a little bending, you can get them to lock in to their holes and never pop out again. I also smear a thin film of silicon grease across the top frame to ease any pulling as the hood seats.

Sealed hoods is a must for these grills.

As you found, Timberline's don't leak at all. The seal is nice and thick so the hood closes with a nice cushy feel.

Insulation isn't at all mandatory, it saves fuel but does limit the use of smoke tubes a bit as the extra heat they add can cause controller instability at low temps on warm days.

But being able to place your open palm on the insulated hood of a grill hitting 450F is sweet.

Regarding the door seal clips, I did a deep dive on them and posted the fix. With a little bending, you can get them to lock in to their holes and never pop out again. I also smear a thin film of silicon grease across the top frame to ease any pulling as the hood seats.

Sealed hoods is a must for these grills.

RemE

Thanks for the door clip seal information and the addition input on the insulation upgrade.

As a Technical Person/Engineer; I like the added pellet savings efficiency and the value og low surface temperature for safety but have to be careful not to overthink things. We do enjoy cooking during winter in cold temperatures down to +10 F outside Air Temp. I have to put it in perspective that my long cooks are usually large briskets starting at 180F super smoke and finishing at 225F so even with my Silverton 810 with a 20 pound hopper I can cook over 20 hours before adding pellets.

It looks like a Timberline is in my future as I do like the "Sealed Hood".

Appreciate your help

Mine has never leaked any smoke has a good seal. I did have some sticking problems with gasket. I cut cut a piece of wax paper and run it all the way across the bottom when not in use and have not had any problems since.

Mine has never leaked any smoke has a good seal. I did have some sticking problems with gasket. I cut cut a piece of wax paper and run it all the way across the bottom when not in use and have not had any problems since.
Cabbage

Thanks for the input. An other great data point confirming the Timberline door seal.

Thanks

I get my timberline 1300 Monday Via Fedex Freight, I'll update the thread. I already have 120 pounds of pellets, FireBoard on the way.... lets do this!

Latest Discussions

Back