Thermal coupling problems

Mel

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Just got my husband the Pro 575 grill for Father’s Day and so far, our experience with this supposed top-of-the-line product sucks. First, we could never get the wifire connection working Second, and more importantly, the meat isn’t getting done. We tried chicken legs the first night, following all the steps in the recipe, to no avail. After an hour and 45 mins we gave up and finished them in the oven. Last night we tried hamburgers and same thing. The Traeger rep asked if we’d removed the orange cover from the thermal coupling. WTH? Never saw anything About that in the instructions. He said it probably melted and isn’t reading the temp correctly. And our grill doesn’t go higher than 450. I hope we haven’t gotten duped on a high-end-not-high-end product. #disappointed #notimpressed

Just got my husband the Pro 575 grill for Father’s Day and so far, our experience with this supposed top-of-the-line product sucks. First, we could never get the wifire connection working Second, and more importantly, the meat isn’t getting done. We tried chicken legs the first night, following all the steps in the recipe, to no avail. After an hour and 45 mins we gave up and finished them in the oven. Last night we tried hamburgers and same thing. The Traeger rep asked if we’d removed the orange cover from the thermal coupling. WTH? Never saw anything About that in the instructions. He said it probably melted and isn’t reading the temp correctly. And our grill doesn’t go higher than 450. I hope we haven’t gotten duped on a high-end-not-high-end product. #disappointed #notimpressed
Unfortunately u have. I suggest returning it if and while you stand can and going with something else - I have been asking Treager to correct a bad controller since 2016 (post-buyout) My Pro Series sucked in 2016 and still sucks in 2020. Im looking at new Weber.

To be honest, you can't blame Traeger if you forgot to remove the thermocouple protector. it says it in the instructions, and says "remove before use" on it. You may be able to carefully remove the orange plastic, but be careful not to damage the end of the thermocouple. Once you've done this, if you can, you need to leave it plugged it to update the firmware, this will then allow for 500F, The firmware for this is new, the grill was probably shipped before the update.

The Weber has had its problems too.

To be honest, you can't blame Traeger if you forgot to remove the thermocouple protector. it says it in the instructions, and says "remove before use" on it. You may be able to carefully remove the orange plastic, but be careful not to damage the end of the thermocouple. Once you've done this, if you can, you need to leave it plugged it to update the firmware, this will then allow for 500F, The firmware for this is new, the grill was probably shipped before the update.

The Weber has had its problems too.
Except for the fact that we bought it pre-assembled and there’s nothing in the instructions under “before you get started” section (or anywhere else for that matter). So yes, plenty of blame for a company that doesn’t address this in any of its material post-purchase.

Except for the fact that we bought it pre-assembled and there’s nothing in the instructions under “before you get started” section (or anywhere else for that matter). So yes, plenty of blame for a company that doesn’t address this in any of its material post-purchase.
Did the retailer you purchased it from assemble it for you? If so, they should be the one responsible.

Reactions: Mel
Did the retailer you purchased it from assemble it for you? If so, they should be the one responsible.
Exactly. Now you have no way of knowing if the orange plastic was removed before use or not since you don't know what it's supposed to look like. Have the retailer replace it and if they hesitate call your charge card company and initiate a complaint to get the charge back.

If you have melted plastic on the thermocouple, just scrape it off under heat. I seriously doubt it would be damaged. Are you using the meat probe? Did you calibrate the meat probe? Are you checking internal temperature of the meat with a reliable instant read thermometer like Thermopen or ThermoPro? All necessary in my opinion.
I use the meat probe with wifi to monitor then check it manually when it gets close. The last couple of cooks were prime rib and rib-eye and they came out perfect.

BTW, there are numerous threads about fixing the wifi and probe calibration.

Last edited:
I have seen posts from those that have serious issues with the Pro Series Grills. If you are having issues reach out to Traeger Customer Service I have used them extensively and have found that they have been a good resource. However, it can be frustrating at times when trying to contact them. But don’t stop trying because they have been very helpful. Before you reach out to them see if you can update your grill to the most recent firmware...... It will them help you. I purchased a Pro575 in December of 2019 which is my second Traeger. I have had no issues with the Pro575 other than minor issues that I have caused the grill. After installing a WiFi extender, I have made each software/firmware update and the most recent updates have increased the Operating temps to 500 degrees and the updates have also improved the App to Grill performance.

Back