The new App

Ali.S

Reaction score
Grill
Timberland 1300
Just cheeked and I’m on version 2.0.2.b.1

I can’t see my custom cook cycle.

There’s another thread on the new App. Custom cool cycles appea to be gone. You can still load recipes.

Asked about this the other day, Looks like they took them away. They really need to reinstall on the app. This was one of the main reasons I sold my trusty first grill I bought 2 years ago, and never once had any issues with it. I have had the new 780 pro for a week, and poof, the custom cook was gone, and I will not update to 2.01.00 at all. Oh yeah no smoke setting.....

I'm on hold waiting to hear from Traeger regarding my Pro 575 and loss of custom cook cycles. I plan on telling them, since they deleted a feature that I choose Trager over competition - and they have now removed it. I plan on returning the grill 6 months later for a "Full" refund. I'll let everyone know how that conversation goes. Now I have to get up in the middle of the night to do something that use to be so convenient and easy. Forum users, we might have a great lawsuit here... any members by chance a lawyer?

The update lost the capabilitiy and my programmed recipes. Time to take the grill back and get a GMG.

Last edited:
I'm on hold waiting to hear from Traeger regarding my Pro 575 and loss of custom cook cycles. I plan on telling them, since they deleted a feature that I choose Trager over competition - and they have now removed it. I plan on returning the grill 6 months later for a "Full" refund. I'll let everyone know how that conversation goes. Now I have to get up in the middle of the night to do something that use to be so convenient and easy. Forum users, we might have a great lawsuit here... any members by chance a lawyer?

The update lost the capabilitiy and my programmed recipes. Time to take the grill back and get a GMG.
I agree it's bad they took them out of the app. I expect they should be back in the next update (at least I hope so). Supposedly they are still saved on the grill, have you looked there? Once you run them, maybe you can see it running in the app, like loading a recipe?

Wrote an Email to them, and they did reply, here is the email first, and then what they had to say..
Not sure what to think about Traeger anymore. Purchased a Pro 780 a few days before this update, an over $1000 purchase, and loved it. Then just a few days later I find out about this upgrade, and how now my grill will reach 500 degrees for some great searing. Well no upgrade on the Traeger, non on the App, and I lost all my custom cooks, which is one of the reasons I upgraded. You have really dropped the ball on this Traeger. I want my custom cooks back....
Now their reply.
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for reaching out. Custom cook cycles were not included in release for the new app. Here is why. When looking at cooks both custom cooks and manual, the usage rate for user created custom cook cycles was extremely low, I'm talking less than 1% of total cooks. Sending the string of information from user generated custom cook requires substantial development work and we prioritized other parts of that application that were more highly used.

We will be sending out a firmware update that will allow Pro grills to set 2 custom cook cycles directly from the grill in the coming weeks. This firmware update will also include the 500 degree increase for Pro’s. The firmware team is planning to send that as soon as May rolls around.

Thanks for reaching out and helping us improve the application.

Hi Traeger,

Your response to the member "Bruce N" was:

=================================================
When looking at cooks both custom cooks and manual, the usage rate for user created custom cook cycles was extremely low, I'm talking less than 1% of total cooks. Sending the string of information from user generated custom cook requires substantial development work and we prioritized other parts of that application that were more highly used.
=================================================

Well, guess what? I would wager that less than 1% of your users will actually access any of the social media functionality that you have added to this app recently as well.

I purchased the Timberline 850 for its wiFire capability so that I could directly monitor and control the grill, not for convenient access to social content. If I need to peruse social content, I could easily go to sites like facebook, instagram, facebook, or any of numerous other sites to view that.

A grill app should focus on its task, controlling the grill and providing important feedback to the users when they are using it.

I think that you guys have made a TERRIBLE blunder with the design of this new app. Listen to a lot of your customers like me who are voicing similar complaints on various forums like this one!

Spend your developer's time wisely and not on frivolous functionality that will be mostly ignored.

Get this app to work reliably! I can't even get the darn thing to connect to my grill now since this update. I've tried calling customer support on several occasions only to get stuck in a long waiting queue for an hour or so, only to hang up without getting a chance to talk to anyone.

Revert back to the basics, "a simple, easy-to-use app that works reliably." Leave social engineering and its related content to those sites that specialize in such crap!"

Well - after being told to leave the grill on for 24-48 hours to get the firmware update, and doing so, I just spent another 30 minutes on the phone with Treager as my firmware has been stuck on 02.01.00 for the last two rollouts. The only way I ever got it to update to 02.01.00 was to factory reset the grill and reinstall everything. I told them I shouldn't have to do this everytime they rollout a firmware update. My refrigerator has been internet connectivity and fireware updating. After 30 minutes of trouble shooting... basically meaning... them asking about wifi signal and can I get the grill closer to my Netgear X7500 wireless router (which is less then 20 feet away from the grill). The only way to get it closer is to roll the grill into my house and let it sit in my living room for 48 hours. REALLY!!!!!!! Nice Product Traeger! Now they tell me, over the memorial weekend, they had all kind of problems with the 02.01.02 rollout, that they pulled it - hardstop. Now they have no known schedule for a re-release. According to customer support, they said the known issue was listed on the website. I also noted the website discriptionlists the wifire update to be scheduled for February 2020 timeframe. Maybe that was a typo and actually should be February 2021 timeframe. I asked to return the grill!! I've had it. TRAEGER FIRE YOUR PROGRAMMERS, THIS IS COMPLETELY @#*&@(#*$ UNACCEPTABLE! Being an IT professional, I've got a suggestion - CMON MAN! let customers pull updates versus you pushing Amazon Web Services (AWS) updates. It is easy enough code to write into your grill OS.

Hi guys,
checking in from the land downunder... And I couldn't agree more. Removing the ability to set custom cook cycles is very strange. I used this function quite a bit. Hopefully Traeger will listen to their customers (from all over the world) and restore...

Hi guys,
checking in from the land downunder... And I couldn't agree more. Removing the ability to set custom cook cycles is very strange. I used this function quite a bit. Hopefully Traeger will listen to their customers (from all over the world) and restore...

Maybe once "covid" isn't a daily excuse for everyone on the planet then things will get done.

Just getting used to my new Traeger. I can en]ter custom cook cycles but can’t see how to rename them.

Back