The Christmas Brisket Gift

GrillMeister

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
Each year at Christmas time, I cook up some briskets and give them away as Christmas gifts. I can find nice briskets trimmed to a 1/4 at my local H-E-B and they are about $30 to $40 depending on the size. This year, as my Big Green Eggs are out of commission due to an outdoor kitchen project, I used my Ironwood 885 and I think I have it down pretty well now.

It's not an expensive gift, but one that requires effort, forethought, planning, and some Que skill. The end results are pretty cool as it's an unexpected type of gift.

Merry Christmas y'all!

Here's some pics to the latest one that went to a car service I use to go to the airport almost ever week. Those guys will pick me up any time and many have been at 3:30-4:00 AM. I know they will enjoy this.

Brisekt1.jpeg

Brisket2.jpeg

Brisket3.jpeg

Brisket4.jpeg

That is an awesome gift idea and I'm impressed that you recognize those in the service industry. Your brisket looks impossibly perfect!

Did you make tab markers for your Meater probes?

That is an awesome gift idea and I'm impressed that you recognize those in the service industry. Your brisket looks impossibly perfect!

Did you make tab markers for your Meater probes?

Thanks! Yep, service industry folks work hard and are underappreciated in many ways. I like to express my gratitude for their help over the year this way.

The tab markers are from MEATER. You can get them here.

Hi. Definitely a nice looking brisket. I'm new to Traeger having come from a BGE but haven't been able to achieve a consistent bark on my briskets yet in my Pro 575. I'm smoking at 225° till it hits 165° internal and then wrap in butcher paper till it hits around 203°. I'm not using a water pan. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi. Definitely a nice looking brisket. I'm new to Traeger having come from a BGE but haven't been able to achieve a consistent bark on my briskets yet in my Pro 575. I'm smoking at 225° till it hits 165° internal and then wrap in butcher paper till it hits around 203°. I'm not using a water pan. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks. I use the same method, but add the water pan. I also rub my brisket with mustard and a dusting of BBQ rub. The bark turns out pretty good except where the juices pool on top.

Thanks. I use the same method, but add the water pan. I also rub my brisket with mustard and a dusting of BBQ rub. The bark turns out pretty good except where the juices pool on top.
Thanks. I'll try the mustard and water pan next and see if I get better results with the bark. Thanks for the tips.

I did the same thing this year, but with a Boston butt, and put it in my family’s Christmas Eve Dirty Santa game.

I wrote out a coupon on a Christmas card with the date it would be ready. The person that got it decided to make it an evening with us, and is bringing sides to make it a meal.

Time to bring this thread back up to the top. I was fortunate to catch Prime Briskets on sale at Costco for $2.49/lb. during black Friday and as mentioned above, I like to give them as Christmas presents to folks I do business with. The first one is cooking tonight.

Nothing beats a home cooked brisket for a present. It's not the dollars spent, but the time & effort to make something special that is truly enjoyed. Merry Christmas fellow GrillMeisters!

Christmas Brisket 1 2020.jpeg

Shoot! I never thought that Costco would have specials on Brisket, so sad I missed that!

What flavor pellets in the smoke tube?

I grabbed a 13 pounder from Costco a couple days ago @ 3 bucks/lb. Im getting my pro 575 on thursday. Im thinking I will trim and apply holy cow and holy gospel the night before. Or should I wait until the same day I cook it to add rub?

I grabbed a 13 pounder from Costco a couple days ago @ 3 bucks/lb. Im getting my pro 575 on thursday. Im thinking I will trim and apply holy cow and holy gospel the night before. Or should I wait until the same day I cook it to add rub?

The night before will be great if you can do that. It always pays to let the rub marinate before placing it on the Traeger. I rub mine with mustard first before dusting with rub. It makes for a tasty bark.

The night before will be great if you can do that. It always pays to let the rub marinate before placing it on the Traeger. I rub mine with mustard first before dusting with rub. It makes for a tasty bark.
Next question, do you go straight from the fridge to the grill? Or leave out for an hour or so first?

Latest Discussions

Back