Poultry Thanksgiving Turkey

CMTiger

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 575 / Weber Genesis / Weber 28” Griddle / Orion Cooker
Any of you doing your Thanksgiving turkey in the traeger this year? I know we are a ways out, but I'm already thinking about it. Tips or ideas? Past success or failure stories? Pictures?!?!

I will definitely be doing the turkey on the traeger. Haven't decided on the final method, brining vs non-brining, spatchcocking vs traditional, etc. Open to any new ideas.

I will definitely be doing the turkey on the traeger. Haven't decided on the final method, brining vs non-brining, spatchcocking vs traditional, etc. Open to any new ideas.
I'll be going traditional of spatchcocking, but that's only because it's traditional. Presentation for everyone else and all.

But everything else i'm still deciding on I think.

Last year, off Traeger

20201126_160448.jpg

The outside looks amazing

I will definitely use a smoke tube after seeing your result. How large was that bird and how long did it take?
low teens, (just for 2) and probably 3.5hrs cuz I usually cook at regular 325

But here's my fireboard started at 100° IT and 2.5hr from there

Unlike many, I am not a big fan of brining. It is a lot of work, but I am not sure it helps much. I have had better success with injecting marinades. It is also easier as it can done done just before cooking.

Of course this was for roasting turkeys in the oven and it may be different in a smoker. But I am more inclined to go the injection route on the Traeger as well.

Unlike many, I am not a big fan of brining. It is a lot of work, but I am not sure it helps much. I have had better success with injecting marinades. It is also easier as it can done done just before cooking.

Of course this was for roasting turkeys in the oven and it may be different in a smoker. But I am more inclined to go the injection route on the Traeger as well.
I've done a whole turkey once, but in the Orion. I brined and it turned out fantastic.
I've ton several turkey breasts now in the Traeger and I always brine as well. I don't have an injector.....but I have been meaning to get one.

You're late, I did ours yesterday! Canadian Thanksgiving LOL! I spatchcock using this method Latin American Spatchcock method. I find it gives me more control temperature wise between the dark meat and the white meat. I used a Thermoworks "Smoke" dual probe thermometer along with the Traeger probe to see if there is a difference. The Traeger was consistently 10 degrees hotter than the Thermoworks. I used a ThermoPro TP-19 instant read thermometer during the cook as well and it was consistently the same as the Thermoworks.

Latest Discussions

Back