Poultry Thanksgiving Turkey Size

aarieas

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 570
First Thanksgiving with a Traeger! What size bird can I do on a Traeger Pro 575? Any recipe recommendations as well?
Thanks all!
Anthony

First Thanksgiving with a Traeger! What size bird can I do on a Traeger Pro 575? Any recipe recommendations as well?
Thanks all!
Anthony
I have a 575 and I did a 12lb with room to spare... I'll bet an 18lber would fit just fine

I have a 575 and I did a 12lb with room to spare... I'll bet an 18lber would fit just fine
I wouldn’t think you’d have any trouble with an 18-20 pound bird

I wish I could find a Turkey to try out in my T grill before Thanksgiving. Not much luck so far.

My butcher tells me to size the Turkey at 2lbs per person. This allows for skin and bones

I wish I could find a Turkey to try out in my T grill before Thanksgiving. Not much luck so far.
Hmmm .... Turkeys available here on the East Coast in Supermarkets, I order a fresh turkey from the butcher. Maybe roast some a whole chicken for practice runs ?

My butcher tells me to size the Turkey at 2lbs per person. This allows for skin and bones
The last gathering I did a 20ish pound bird for a lot more than 10 people, but we also had a lot of other options. This may he a correct method for more or a turkey and two sides meal.

I think if I end up needing that big of bird this year I may try and do two smaller ones instead of one giant one

Hmmm .... Turkeys available here on the East Coast in Supermarkets, I order a fresh turkey from the butcher. Maybe roast some a whole chicken for practice runs ?
I’ve done whole chickens a couple of times now. I’m ready for the turkey. I’ve been to Ralph’s, Vons, Albertsons and Stater Bro. Also Smart & Final. Nothing. I’m sure the birds will show up soon. Probably after Halloween.

I’ve done whole chickens a couple of times now. I’m ready for the turkey. I’ve been to Ralph’s, Vons, Albertsons and Stater Bro. Also Smart & Final. Nothing. I’m sure the birds will show up soon. Probably after Halloween.
Your governor banned turkeys, didn't you know that!!

Good morning. I did a Turkey for Canada Day this past July. 15 pound bird, I did some research and found that when cooking poultry your internal temperatures need to go between 40’to140’ Fahrenheit in 4 hours or less. Reduces the risk of botulism. So I figured at 225’ cooking temperature a bird no bigger that 15 lbs. if more meat is needed do 2 birds or more, even sized. Turned out great

Attachments

• 7492EA7E-A275-4B38-A422-E86254C5B349.jpeg
    7492EA7E-A275-4B38-A422-E86254C5B349.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 67
Canadian thanksgiving was a couple weeks ago and I did a 16 pounder in my 575 with room to spare…just take out the top rack if you need room
boom, there ya go 👊

Good morning. I did a Turkey for Canada Day this past July. 15 pound bird, I did some research and found that when cooking poultry your internal temperatures need to go between 40’to140’ Fahrenheit in 4 hours or less. Reduces the risk of botulism. So I figured at 225’ cooking temperature a bird no bigger that 15 lbs. if more meat is needed do 2 birds or more, even sized. Turned out great
Stellar!

Thanks all!
Anthony
directly on the rack, or roasting pan? pan might be cleaner? this is my first rodeo...looking for advice.

Back