Help! Terrible Treager grill.

Corners

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I’m a newbie. Just signed up.
In less than two months I am on my SECOND Treager Timberline 850. First on: new controller, new hot rod, no WiFi antenna attached. Still unable to use WiFi. TRIED to smoke steaks, wouldn’t work. With temp set at 450 degrees, it was to hot. Grease trap design is completely unsatisfactory.
Dealership takes it backs and gives me a new one. Spent $130.00 on WIFI Extender in order to get stronger signal. Was not informed I may have needed that.
Downloaded Treager App six times. This App is STUCK!! Rebooted grill, my cell phone, still unable to pair phone to grill.
Treager tells me it’s a problem with their App but doesn’t know how to correct it.
Multiple phone calls to Treager go unanswered. Same thing with dealership who sold it to me.
Had to cancel Fathers Day and 4th of July party due to this Treager grill not working.
$1,800.00 for Timberline PLUS $$$$ for bags of pellets and multiple Treager accessories that are collecting dust in my shop.
SERIOUSLY considering consulting an attorney AND contacting Attorney Generals Office and the BBB. Various other friends having same problems. Bought new Weber grills instead of trying to fight with Treager.

You must have the worst luck in the world my friend.

1. I've yet to hear about someone needed a controller, hot rod, and antenna.
2.You cant get smoke at 450
3. The wifi extender is needed if you're far from the router, kinda common sense...
4. What type of phone do you have?
5. Good luck with that amigo.

3. The wifi extender is needed if you're far from the router, kinda common sense...

In his defense, I've had somewhat similar issues.
I am a tech type so working with WiFi is always something that needs to be worked out with any installation, band and strength need to be evaluated and provided, no biggie. Odd about the missing antenna, but they are easy to find if needed, but the unit is dead without it.

Mine was slow starting, very slow. I did finally call Traeger about it and they sent a new HotPot/HotRod assembly which cured the issue.

I also called about the controller, if I adjust the temp knob slowly, the display with count up then sometimes down randomly. This makes it "fiddley" to change temps. Also I was caught up in the app/firmware mess a few months ago, I'm up and running but am at 02.00.02 and it won't update to 02.01.02 which is apparently the current version. Traeger accessed my phone camera and had me show them the temp knob issue. That was new to the tech, so a new controller is due here today.

That said, my TL850 is just at a year old now and it's been a great overall, I really do like the construction but yes, it needed some tweaking here and there.

I did look at the Webber pellet grill and it felt pretty light weight, thin gage steel, flimsy pellet hopper door, etc. Also, the reviews are mixed about operation, pellet feed issues, uneven heat etc. So nothing is perfect unless you really shell out the really big bucks, not that the Timberlines are cheap!

?. I was trying to get temp high enough for the steaks, not smoke.
My Treager is just outside my garage, four rooms from my router. Not that far to get a signal. ?
Working on an IPhone.
Right now I need to unload my PISTOL. ?

My Treager is just outside my garage, four rooms from my router. Not that far to get a signal. ?
Working on an IPhone.
What is your signal strength?, reported in the settings menu of the grill.

For comparison, mine is -38db.

Regarding temp, what was the highest temp you could get?

Working on an IPhone.

With regards to signal strength ... our IoT Wireless Access Point is on the first floor of our home ... 30 feet from where the PRO 780 is positioned on our back porch ... when the IoT Wireless Access Point is placed in the wiring closet, there are 2 walls and a double-paned sliding glass door between them ... the reported signal strength within the Traeger App fluctuates from Poor<->Fair ... if I am (re)running the setup process for any reason, I will move the IoT Wireless Access Point out of the wiring closet using a 50 foot patch cable, and place it adjacent to the sliding glass door (reported signal strength will improve to Good<->Excellent) ... the setup process requires a minimum of a "Fair" signal strength, but when possible, I would recommend running setup when the signal strength is returning "Good" or better ... once setup is completed, you can move things back to where they normally reside and monitor/adjust WiFIRE Controller settings with a Poor<->Fair signal ... YMMV ...

Last edited:
Anyone know what the pointer means

Attachments

• 6076484E-3CEF-452E-BFA0-A31D8F9B8EF6.jpeg
    6076484E-3CEF-452E-BFA0-A31D8F9B8EF6.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 42
Anyone know what the pointer means

The upside down triangle in the upper right hand corner means no active connection to a Wi-Fi Network ... posting pics for reference ...

Attachments

• Traeger | WiFIRE "Disconnected" State.JPG
    Traeger | WiFIRE "Disconnected" State.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 40
  • Traeger | WiFIRE "Connected" State.jpg
    Traeger | WiFIRE "Connected" State.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 38
What is your signal strength?, reported in the settings menu of the grill.

For comparison, mine is -38db.

Regarding temp, what was the highest temp you could get?
Signal strength was between -43 up to -57.
Treager said that acceptable.
On my FIRST 850 it would only peak out at 265 for awhile and then it finally shot up to 450.
Second 850 - haven’t tried to fire it up because I cannot paid phone to grill.

So meaning no connection,weather app can connect or not...
moved my grill closer to router, created its own private 2.4 connection
still wont see it.... Do I need to see connection? before trying app.

Correct, the indicator on the grill shows the status of its connection to your WiFi network.

Have you ever been able to monitor/control the grill via the App, or are you attempting to successfully complete the setup/pairing process via your App Device for the first time?

Have you ever been able to monitor/control the grill via the App, or are you attempting to successfully complete the setup/pairing process via your App Device for the first time?
No haven’t been able to connect at all.

Signal strength was between -43 up to -57.
Traeger said that acceptable.
On my FIRST 850 it would only peak out at 265 for awhile and then it finally shot up to 450.
Second 850 - haven’t tried to fire it up because I cannot paid phone to grill.

Why would you not use your grill? This app and WiFire is not needed to run this grill just like any other Traeger made.

I know it's a nice feature and folks want it to work, but don't cancel events and the best part of smoking and grilling in the summer just because you can't figure out a wireless grill connection. FIre that sucker up and smoke some meat. The control pad works amazingly easy.

Back