Temperature Setting Fluctuation

Gomretat

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I am a new Traeger owner but not new to smokers. I have the Ironwood 885. While smoking meats the temperature gauge frequently resets itself to 165. Happened yesterday 5 or 6 times and has already happened today with my turkey. What causes that to happen and what am I doing wrong.

Welcome to the forum. I haven't had that issue either. What temp are you cooking at when it resets? What firmware version are you running?

Welcome! I haven't experienced that issue either.

Could you be experiencing power blips that would cause this, I wonder? Is there an outlet on another circuit you could try? Though, if it is power related there's nothing that says it can't be an issue within your Ironwood. I'm purely guessing at this.

If you loose power the smoker will shut down and not continue.

If you loose power the smoker will shut down and not continue.
Yeah but I once had a malfunctioning GFI outlet that resulted in odd behavior on some devices without fully losing power. This is probably not his issue, but could be one one of several troubleshooting steps.

Gfi's can malfunction and can result in lower voltage for sure which can cause issues to control boards. A bit unrelated but it's also a good idea to install a surge suppressor on your electrical panel to protect all your electronic devices and appliances.

A bit unrelated but it's also a good idea to install a surge suppressor on your electrical panel to protect all your electronic devices and appliances.

Yes! I have a couple UPS' for my desktop and server, and a surge protector outlet for the home entertainment system but I would love to have a whole house surge protector at the panel.

Yup they are worth the money and will protect all devices. Appliances and electronics are expensive to replace. I bought an Eaton whole house protector for about $80 Canadian on Amazon about 2 years ago. Always remember to attach it to the most top 2 breaker slots if you get one. Also make sure it is across both 120v phases for protection of both phases. Cheers.

Back