Temperature Probe Question

Big Man Dan

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I am picked an Inkbird inbq4t on that half off deal. I'm smoking some ribs today and Im Using the inkbird and the Traeger internal am they are off from each other by 25F. Is that possible? WTF??

they are off from each other by 25F. Is that possible?

I could go on and on....

Yes. I get my IB in this week sometime and look forward to seeing how far off my pit is. Meat probe was off by around 20 degrees

Well, I've been smoking a chuck roast for 5 hrs. with the Traeger stock probe. The last time I opened the grill, I checked it with my Thermopen. Stock probe said 151, three spots with the Mk IV read 151, 150, & 151. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, but every time I check pit temp and IT with the Thermoworks, the Traeger ones are roughly the same.

Check both inkbird and T controller temp probe on ice water and boiling water temp. Iced water should be at 32 and the boiling water temp at 212. I use a ThermoWorks Dot and it’s spot on on both ice and boiling. But not on the T temp probe. Off by 5-7. Calibrating it should take care of the problem. I never trust the products temp probe without checking it with a good temp probe.

I am picked an Inkbird inbq4t on that half off deal. I'm smoking some ribs today and Im Using the inkbird and the Traeger internal am they are off from each other by 25F. Is that possible? WTF??
The first thing to note about any thermometer anywhere is this: a thermometer measures its own temperature. So location location location becomes important.
Yes, a comparison with another thermometer, hopefully a better thermometer with reference potential, is important to establish the error vs. the reference. Once established, the error can be corrected if possible, or the error can be compensated for when taking a reading.
But that only means one can assume any reading is the correct one but still may be different than expected because of location.

The first thing to note about any thermometer anywhere is this: a thermometer measures its own temperature. So location location location becomes important.
Yes, a comparison with another thermometer, hopefully a better thermometer with reference potential, is important to establish the error vs. the reference. Once established, the error can be corrected if possible, or the error can be compensated for when taking a reading.
But that only means one can assume any reading is the correct one but still may be different than expected because of location.
The only 'location' you want to put an internal probe first is next to the Traeger RTD so you can tell how much to adjust your set temp, as long as you are using a reliable ambient 3rd party probe. After that you can add as many as you want but any 'reference' probe should be placed next to the built in one.

The only 'location' you want to put an internal probe first is next to the Traeger RTD so you can tell how much to adjust your set temp, as long as you are using a reliable ambient 3rd party probe. After that you can add as many as you want but any 'reference' probe should be placed next to the built in one.
Or next to the meat / cooking zone, isnt that the point. Who cares what the temp is at the built in probe?

Who cares what the temp is at the built in probe?
Someone who wants to know how far off their grill RTD is... to close to COLD meat for any ambient probe is up to you.

After that you can add as many as you want but any 'reference' probe should be placed next to the built in one.
So again, as I said, add as many as you want... or move it where ever you want. I'm not forcing anyone.
The OP wanted to know why is grill is so far OFF, to tell how far OFF you put a reliable probe next to your RTD...

Just trying to stay on topic here with Traeger's RTD being so far OFF for new owners.

I took the guess out of it, my Traeger rtd is off by about 20f high compared to the FireBoard probe.
A8BB3FD4-D67B-43CB-B4A8-A3698C5BBD38.jpeg

Knowing this you can adjust to the correct temp using the FireBoard or other therm, and the grill will work as designed.

I took the guess out of it, my Traeger rtd is off by about 20f high compared to the FireBoard probe.View attachment 6529
Knowing this you can adjust to the correct temp using the FireBoard or other therm, and the grill will work as designed.
At the moment this is what I think I’ll do with my Inkbird when it and my replacement Rtd arrive

@Timmy what is the little swirly holder the wire is fed through and how’s that secured?

There is a bolt there the it fastens to. It was for another therm probe.
8FA18171-F633-4911-A2B2-60580B9CE5C6.jpeg
EE940141-F49B-4BFD-864D-08152DBD678F.jpeg

I initially started with this one but found it wasn’t very accurate. So I bought a FireBoard and now use it on my offset.

Edit: it’s a piece of wire I bent around to hold the probe.

Latest Discussions

Back