Temperature not controlled by knob

chucklaiti

Reaction score
Grill
TFB42PLF
We are trying to cook some ribs. When we set the temperature knob it continues to rise in temp beyond what we set. It started to blister some of the paint on the exterior. We had some trouble with that before.

There can be some temp overshoot, briefly open the hood to prevent overtemps until it calms down.

Are you seeing any flames underneath? I had temps on my Lil Tex jump way way up in the past because I had a grease fire on the bottom. Gave it a nice cleaning and things were back to normal.

Are you seeing any flames underneath? I had temps on my Lil Tex jump way way up in the past because I had a grease fire on the bottom. Gave it a nice cleaning and things were back to normal.
I will check that out. We’ve not used it very much so it’d have to be from what was being cooked presently.

We are trying to cook some ribs. When we set the temperature knob it continues to rise in temp beyond what we set. It started to blister some of the paint on the exterior. We had some trouble with that before.
I had the same problem with my ranger. Started out with smoke setting. The temp gauge kept increasing until I got error message DEF. Shut down and inspected the fire box everything look normal started back up and the same thing happen. No fire or grease in the fire box. clean the ranger after every use. The temp probe works.

I had the same problem with my ranger. Started out with smoke setting. The temp gauge kept increasing until I got error message DEF. Shut down and inspected the fire box everything look normal started back up and the same thing happen. No fire or grease in the fire box. clean the ranger after every use. The temp probe works.

That happened to my first Century 22. It would just not work on the smoke setting. I took it back to Coscto and got the latest version and it works great on smoke.

What I do, which has always worked for me, is to approach the desired temperature by increments. For example, suppose you want a cooking temperature of 250 F. Start by setting the temp to 190F. Once it stabilizes there set it to 220F, and once it stabilizes there set it to 250F. Mine overshoots a little at each step but not by much so it doesn't take too long to stabilize. The larger the steps the larger the overshoot and the longer it takes to stabilize. Good luck.

What I do, which has always worked for me, is to approach the desired temperature by increments. For example, suppose you want a cooking temperature of 250 F. Start by setting the temp to 190F. Once it stabilizes there set it to 220F, and once it stabilizes there set it to 250F. Mine overshoots a little at each step but not by much so it doesn't take too long to stabilize. The larger the steps the larger the overshoot and the longer it takes to stabilize. Good luck.
I agree, I did this with my first Traeger Junior, the more basic models could really overshoot.

My current Timberline with latest firmware now slowly creeps up to any set temp with minimal overshoot.

Tried the step method. Never stabilizes go straight up to DEF

Tried the step method. Never stabilizes go straight up to DEF
Sorry the step method didn't work for you. My next recommendation would be to suspect you have a faulty temperature probe. You should be able to get Traeger to send you a replacement if you explain what you've tried. Good luck

Back