Temp ranges- some work some dont- 225?

Fly22

Reaction score
Grill
575 Pro
575 pro
Will hold temps all day long from 185-205. When I set it at 225 it goes up to 250. Holds 250 perfectly give or take 5 degrees.

How do I get this thing to hold 225?

mine did the same thing on the same temp, mine did it when I broke my own 'rule'... I left the pellets in the hopper thru several HOT HUMID days instead of empty the hopper in my sealed bucket and stored inside.
I believe everyone is reporting TEMP problems this time of year cuz the pellets are left to become damp with moisture...
Don't ask what the affect is, I'm just making my observation, when I used FRESH DRY pellets I never had a temp issue at any setting... it was only when I got lazy.

Im in Utah with low humidity and the pellets are "brand" new. Coming straight from the bag.

The peculiar part is, at 185 the temps stay where they need to. When I turn it up, it overshoots it to 250 and stays there.

Last edited:
OKAY, so then mine did it also and now not for the reason I thought.... so that's good news for me about the humidity... however my 225 goes to 250 also.... should we call Traeger and get a NEW controller???

I bought my Pro 780 this year before fathers day. First cook was awesome, everything worked as it should. 2nd cook temp ran away to almost 400 degrees. I shut it down. Called Traeger they sent a new thermocouple that didnt fix the problem although it did get somewhat better. Temps were still 40+ degrees higher than set temperature. Called Traeger again, they are sending me a new controller.

It's amazing to me how many controllers Traeger is willing to throw at these problems. Being as these grills are basically a servo system, with pellet feed rate controlled by measured temp error between set and actual temperatures. They should simply and continously vary the auger feed rate to maintain set temp. More modern ones add handling sceanerieos like handling door open events better than going full heat etc.
So basically, they should just always just work. The variable here seems to be reliable temperature monitoring, if the thermocouple is biased high or low, or isn't linear, then the actual temps would be wrong, even though the set and displayed temps look to be working normally.
Now that I have the FireBoard2, I have an independent way to monitor actual temperature in the grill. I have found that my Timberline isn't linear. If I set it to 225, actual temps are above 250. But set to 400 and the temps are close. So I now set my Traeger temps to what is needed to hit the fireboard measured temp. I set the grill to 175 to get an actual temp of 190.
So dealing with this non linear temp is now handled.
The Traeger will hold any set temp by its servo loop design, it just takes time to settle in. Direct sun and wind will cause the controller to have to fight more to maintain the set temperature, but it "should" always be working the fire to hold at the set temperature number.

Last edited:
Thanks RemE, this is exactly what is happening. I spent 6 hours yesterday after posting this, running several scenarios.

To hit 225 I have to plug in 205, it takes some time to settle but once it does it holds 225 within a couple degrees. To hit 250 I have to plug in 220/225. Anything 300 and above I plug it what I want and it holds it.

I essentially have a 20 degree or so variance until 300 and then its spot on.

Now that I have the FireBoard2, I have an independent way to monitor actual temperature in the grill

how is that mounted in there??? yours probably came with that clip??? I need a clip for my probe to just take internal grill temps.

FOUND 'EM... Amazon again

Last edited:
Thanks RemE, this is exactly what is happening. I spent 6 hours yesterday after posting this, running several scenarios.

To hit 225 I have to plug in 205, it takes some time to settle but once it does it holds 225 within a couple degrees. To hit 250 I have to plug in 220/225. Anything 300 and above I plug it what I want and it holds it.

I essentially have a 20 degree or so variance until 300 and then its spot on.
I have pretty much the same results with my pit temperature variances

I wanted a constant 165* last weekend for smoking some ribeyes and the lowest it would go is 200*. If I cracked the door open just a little bit it would go down and produce more smoke. Next time I'll play with the stack cap elevation to see it that helps.

My 575 struggle with anything below 200. the swings greater at that range.

I wanted a constant 165* last weekend for smoking some ribeyes and the lowest it would go is 200*. If I cracked the door open just a little bit it would go down and produce more smoke. Next time I'll play with the stack cap elevation to see it that helps.

So the point this thread was headed was DON'T RELY ON JUST YOUR STOCK readout... Have an independent probe inside to make sure your internal temps are what they really are reading...
I'm not even sure I'm totally jiggy with the PLACEMENT of Traeger's internal probe... what's the TEMP next to the smoke stack??? what's the TEMP down on your grate??
I think we would ALL have more successful smokes if we knew how OFF the Stock probe was sometimes.

I made Ugly Drum Smokers and had 3 dial thermometers in them... placed in 3 strategic areas...

Can't wait for my clips and a new package of batteries for my Mavericks

GOT MY CLIPS!!!
COMMON AMAZON... what's up with the packaging!!!!!

20200812_175833.jpg

That little black box is what my clips were in... SENT IN A BOX OVER 100x it's size and with a BATTERY LABEL on the side... Amazon and covid hiring.... don't get me started!!!

rolling.gif

Trying out my dual temp thing... so far not bad

20200815_161254.jpg

20200815_161407.jpg
20200815_161412.jpg

Back