Temp problems and “ignite” button sucks

Watched a video were a guy used 1/2 a potato to hold the meat probe in place, you just have the probe go through the potato or onion (I didn't have a potato) all the way until the potato is at the base of probe and probe tip is exposed. It basically acts like a grill probe clip for a meat probe.
Ok i get it now. Tnx

I'll be honest, I woke up this morning like this thing is going back, I'm over it. I spoke to wife during lunch and she said "just call them first and if your not happy with their solution take it back"

I get home, cut an onion in 1/2 stick the Traeger meat probe through onion and have it touch thermocouple, same with meat probe from my smoke thermometer, smoke grill probe is already touching. I call Traeger and get "JOE".

Big shout out to Joe

I explain to him the issue with new display jumping numbers and probe, his reply is " I'm sorry to hear that, display/controller are available and will ship out in 2-3 days". I didn't have to turn on grill or that video thing, nothing. I explain to him my concerns with the temperature reading lower than what it actually is, I explain what I do for a living and that I basically do this kind of troubleshooting for a very large company, and he explains to me how the controller works and how software/firmware interpret the resistance of the components attached to board (this is in my wheelhouse). I let Joe know that I appreciate him taking the time to answer any questions and sharing the knowledge.

This phone call was 9 minutes, I wish all the other people I spoke with in the past were as helpful as Joe.

Traeger is safe, we really want this thing to work, we spent a lot of money and just want this thing to be right, there are 4 Traeger grills in our family and we have had the unfortunate luck to get the one with issues. This is our third current grill with a big offset in the works.

View attachment 2690
Can you articulate what Joe said about their probe and controller relationship? Best I can say is that it's non-linear response at low temps seems a common issue.

Last edited:
Can you articulate what Joe said about their probe and controller relationship? Best in can say is that it's non-linear response at low temps seems a common issue.

Hey RemE,

Joe didn't get into much detail, he gave me a basic outline, but said there is a algorithm built in that takes resistance readings of the grill probe at known times. That it doesn't actually matter what the probe reads/resistance as the controller knows what it should read at a given time and calibrates/offsets the probe to display what it should read. He also made sure it was connected to WiFi, not sure why and forgot to ask, but might be related.

I'm guessing during the "ignite" portion as temps are raising it knows what the resistance of the probe should be at a given time and adjust accordingly and why the lid needs to be closed during ignition. I didn't ask, rather forgot to ask what it uses for a baseline, because in areas where it much hotter/cooler/windier that will change the baseline number.

I know when I did a day time cook the Traeger grill probe displayed a temp 50* higher then my smoke grill probe and 38* higher when I started my grill at 10:30 at night for a brisket cook on the same day. Yesterday the new controller and grill probe read 40* cooler then my smoke so almost a 90* difference between the old controller grill probe and new.

When the new new controller arrives and I have the display out I will check the resistance of the new and old probes and see if or what the difference are if any. Before I remove the new display I will check the ambient temps and do the same with the new new display with both probes. Then I will run the grill up to 200 let it run for a while to level out and take another temp reading.

I will probably seal the lid to base with lava lock gasket if I see a change and do another seasoning and test again, this grill has a 1/4" gap between lid and base and I wonder if ambient temp air entering the cooking chamber during calibration period is causing the swing in temps or if it take the baseline during the seasoning period and why we have to run it at a specified temp for a specified time.

today with the grill on but not started and the lid open the grill probe read I think 99, the meat probe was 94, the smoke grill probe was at 98.7 and the meat probe was 98.3 so at low temps it seem to be pretty accurate. I wonder since this grill has about a 1/4" gap between the lid and the base if wind can be a factor.

Thanks
Dave

Hey RemE,

Joe didn't get into much detail, he gave me a basic outline, but said there is a algorithm built in that takes resistance readings of the grill probe at known times. That it doesn't actually matter what the probe reads/resistance as the controller knows what it should read at a given time and calibrates/offsets the probe to display what it should read. He also made sure it was connected to WiFi, not sure why and forgot to ask, but might be related.

I'm guessing during the "ignite" portion as temps are raising it knows what the resistance of the probe should be at a given time and adjust accordingly and why the lid needs to be closed during ignition. I didn't ask, rather forgot to ask what it uses for a baseline, because in areas where it much hotter/cooler/windier that will change the baseline number.

I know when I did a day time cook the Traeger grill probe displayed a temp 50* higher then my smoke grill probe and 38* higher when I started my grill at 10:30 at night for a brisket cook on the same day. Yesterday the new controller and grill probe read 40* cooler then my smoke so almost a 90* difference between the old controller grill probe and new.

When the new new controller arrives and I have the display out I will check the resistance of the new and old probes and see if or what the difference are if any. Before I remove the new display I will check the ambient temps and do the same with the new new display with both probes. Then I will run the grill up to 200 let it run for a while to level out and take another temp reading.

I will probably seal the lid to base with lava lock gasket if I see a change and do another seasoning and test again, this grill has a 1/4" gap between lid and base and I wonder if ambient temp air entering the cooking chamber during calibration period is causing the swing in temps or if it take the baseline during the seasoning period and why we have to run it at a specified temp for a specified time.

today with the grill on but not started and the lid open the grill probe read I think 99, the meat probe was 94, the smoke grill probe was at 98.7 and the meat probe was 98.3 so at low temps it seem to be pretty accurate. I wonder since this grill has about a 1/4" gap between the lid and the base if wind can be a factor.

Thanks
Dave
Hmm, That's interesting stuff from Joe. These controllers only feedback connection with the outside world is the temp probe. From that "resistance" reading, the controller software varies the fan and auger speeds to, correctly ignite, then maintain a set temp, and do an orderly shutdown. It's interesting that Joe indicates that the controller varies the displayed temp rather than show absolute temp and react internally on the readings. It seems odd to me but maybe that explains the non-linear readings compared with 3rd party thermometers. My grill holds set temps very well, but the temp values vary from the FireBoard2 unit that I use.

I will continue to set the grill temp to whatever value is needed to maintain the desired reading on the FireBoard. That will yield consistent cooks.

Regarding adding a door gasket, everything you do to seal and insulate the unit will save fuel and hold set temps better. I had a Junior Elite as my first Traeger, its door fit like crap, it leaked heat like crazy. This means it always runs a hotter fire at the grill as it was always compensating for the heat loss. I eventually added a heavy spring and hook to hold the door closed firmly. Quite a departure to the Timberline with heavy insulated door with gasket seal.

First thing I put on my new 575 was lavalock seal on the lid... I have ZERO smoke escaping and my temps doing pretty good so far

Hmm, That's interesting stuff from Joe. These controllers only feedback connection with the outside world is the temp probe. From that "resistance" reading, the controller software varies the fan and auger speeds to, correctly ignite, then maintain a set temp, and do an orderly shutdown. It's interesting that Joe indicates that the controller varies the displayed temp rather than show absolute temp and react internally on the readings. It seems odd to me but maybe that explains the non-linear readings compared with 3rd party thermometers. My grill holds set temps very well, but the temp values vary from the FireBoard2 unit that I use.

I will continue to set the grill temp to whatever value is needed to maintain the desired reading on the FireBoard. That will yield consistent cooks.

Regarding adding a door gasket, everything you do to seal and insulate the unit will save fuel and hold set temps better. I had a Junior Elite as my first Traeger, its door fit like crap, it leaked heat like crazy. This means it always runs a hotter fire at the grill as it was always compensating for the heat loss. I eventually added a heavy spring and hook to hold the door closed firmly. Quite a departure to the Timberline with heavy insulated door with gasket seal.

I think if we knew what the baseline value was it will help, because so far the grill probe seems spot on at ambient temps.

going to get a Fireboard for my offset, I can't wait, but right know $ is going towards marital for the build.

First thing I put on my new 575 was lavalock seal on the lid... I have ZERO smoke escaping and my temps doing pretty good so far
I already have the Lavalock gasket, but waiting until things get worked out a little better, would hate for Traeger to void my warranty because they noticed I modified my grill during a video call.

So got new controller yesterday and installed it today, here are the results.
5AFFB2C3-0407-4669-AC53-AB8F6A93E0D7.jpeg

Control meter is reading 0.1 ohms
B0D5A977-85FE-4E56-BD6A-F0236FE20609.jpeg

old thermalcoupler
ADB92E34-8514-41A8-8119-B8B4163E1203.jpeg

^^ new thermalcoupler
B829CD00-3C59-4801-B691-F725421270C6.jpeg

^^ Resistance of new controller thermalcoupler connection
AE5BEC59-279C-45D9-A1E8-81916D08FED6.jpeg

^^ old controller
A34802FC-05BD-41E6-B320-F662660A7FE7.jpeg
^^ temp at ignite
1490CA6B-04FE-46FF-9AC3-7D581C388C15.jpeg

^^ that’s the best it’s ever been kinda sad.
2 thermalcouplers and 3 controllers.

was still close to 50* at 225, I had to set grill to 275 to get my grill probe to 225

was still close to 50* at 225, I had to set grill to 275 to get my grill probe to 225
I purchased a Silverton 810 from Costco in August and am having the same temperature issues that you are, the internal temperature is always at least 15% lower than what the digital readout says it is, so the higher you go with the temp setting the wider the difference gets. I was sent a new thermocouple but it is still off 15%, now they insist that the fan is the probable cause and are sending a new fan? I believe that the type of thermocouple their using does not match the temp transducer in the controller but we will see.

I had the same problem, traded the 810 in for a timberline, better insulation and temperature control

Latest Discussions

Back