Super smoke

Lumpy

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I have not used it yet, any feedback from other owners.

Thanks in advance.

Lumpy

I honestly couldn't tell the difference, I previously owned a pro elite 34 and now have the timberline 1300 and it doesn't seem to smoke as much as my old one even on super smoke.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference either. I hope we can get more people chime in on this.

I used super smoke yesterday for 2 hours. When opening the door, there was smoke wafting around though I didn't see much visible smoke on the outside. The fan does the slow cycle which seems to help promote the smoke. I was set at 225F the max allowable for super smoke, wonder if it smokes more at a lower temp?

I too put on super smoke at a 200F cook and when I opened the chamber it was smokey. Could also see smoke pouring out the grease chute as well.

I've tried super smoke a couple times and it actually works great. It does not blow out loads of white smoke out the back, but rather thin blue smoke that is consistent. The smoke ring you will get will be the proof. I got an amazing smoke ring on my beef ribs in just 3 hours of super smoke at 210 degrees.

I've tried super smoke a couple times and it actually works great. It does not blow out loads of white smoke out the back, but rather thin blue smoke that is consistent. The smoke ring you will get will be the proof. I got an amazing smoke ring on my beef ribs in just 3 hours of super smoke at 210 degrees.

View attachment 372
I also have an Ironwood 885 and I've cooked at low temps using both SS and non-SS mode. I have honestly not seen any difference in the smoke ring and, in most cases, there is more visible smoke without SS. Just curious if you've done cook comparisons? Thanks!

I have not used it yet, any feedback from other owners.

Thanks in advance.

Lumpy
Hi Lumpy! Now that you've had months of experience with using SS, what do you think? Any difference using SS and not SS?

I'm conflicted with respect to this topic and right now I have a hunch that the correct answer depends on personal preference. I began my smoking hobby 4 years ago--with charcoal--but acquired an Ironwood in September. I'm a bark guy and care nothing about a smoke ring (and almost never get a smoke ring with charcoal but perhaps that's because I don't use water for moisture). In fact, I sometimes need to explain the smoke ring in order to convince others that the food is safe. To me, that is not an enjoyable chore and I don't want people questioning what they are served. I could use the Ironwood blindfolded and get a smoke ring (and I'm not complaining about this).

It has, however, been a challenge to get what I consider a quality bark on items such as pork shoulders and briskets. On my first few attempts I was very discouraged and worried I made a horrible purchase (but the Ironwood has worked flawlessly for me in terms of its advertised claims). But now that I'm three months in I am [presently] well-pleased with most of my smoke endeavors.

I won't attempt to sell any of you on the right method(s) because most of you are far more experienced than myself. Also; I am not a scientist and my change-ups have usually involved more than one tweak simultaneously. But I will say that, based on what I read from Traeger, several of my earlier attempts involved utilization of "Super Smoke" and pit temps lower than 200f at least for a span of time. After several disappointing attempts I read a handful of articles from folks whom I assume are professionals and they suggest that the required chemical reactions for good bark require temps north of 200. Presently, I'm starting at least at 225 without SS and I'm much happier than I was in September. But my opinion could easily change and what is success to me may not at all work for others. My main goal is good cooks without being anal about data collection and with minimal effort; I work hard at my day job and I want this to be an enjoyable experience!

Whatever GrillMeister did with his beef ribs he nailed it! Those look AWESOME!

@bfletcher - excellent synopsis of your experience. Everyone's is different and we can all benefit from each other. My experience is--especially when using higher temps--that I get the best bark and smoke ring by using pellets from Lumber Jack. They are 100% species on the label and the primary wood still includes the bark--which is the thing that creates the best flavor smoke. Even at low temps (180-225) that brand of pellet seems to out perform the Traeger brand--and it's cheaper. Oh, and I rarely if ever use Super Smoke with these pellets.

Regardless of everyone's technique the one thing we can all agree on is we are compelled to Smoke On!

Had a thought -- Up here in Ontario I did a brisket on the weekend and the temp was ~1c (33F for my friends to the south). When it stalled I pulled it off expecting to see a thick haze of smoke but it was pretty clear (internal temp was good though). Is it possible that because the grill is working harder to keep the temp up it lowers the smokyness? There was a smoke ring but it was thin.

Had a thought -- Up here in Ontario I did a brisket on the weekend and the temp was ~1c (33F for my friends to the south). When it stalled I pulled it off expecting to see a thick haze of smoke but it was pretty clear (internal temp was good though). Is it possible that because the grill is working harder to keep the temp up it lowers the smokyness? There was a smoke ring but it was thin.
The colder the temps, the more pure fire has to be maintained in order to keep the temperature at your setting. My experience is you will not see/get much smoke at higher temps or even lower temps with cold outside temps. In the winter, when I smoke a brisket, I'll put it on at 7pm at night at 180. In the morning (after approx. 12 hours) I'll wrap it in butcher paper and increase the temp to 250. You'll probably use more pellets this way but you get a killer bark and smoke ring.

My Traeger Does Not Put Out The Smoke I Was Expecting!!

I bought a smoke tube ... $20 and you can have all the smoke you want

I agree use a smoke tube if you want more smoke.

That said, I smoked pork Butts yesterday, Apple pellets, 190F super smoke. Ambient temp 52. It took a while before the fan began cycling, and in super smoke, colder outside temps, with a non insulated grill the fan might not cycle if the grill needs to maintain the set temp. So in freezing temps I'd cook low and slow to maximize smoke, and maybe use a smoke tube as well.
13FAA6D0-9E8B-4411-BA14-8226481EDD68.jpeg

In my case there was always visible smoke inside and out. Here's a pic when I wrapped. Smoke haze is visible.

Back