Strange chicken texture?

tony4402

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Have done a couple whole chickens on the Traeger so far. Both times we have been very happy with the flavor, but the texture is a bit strange. Different from when I've done it on the charcoal grill or in the oven. It's hard to describe, not tough, but sort of a rubbery texture. Anyone else with this problem? I definitely cooked it until it was done and not over done. Used a thermometer to ensure it was right around 165. The only thing I've noticed is that most of the recipes in the app cook at temps in 300-375 range. I did 425-450 both times. Could this be it?

My first chicken breasts were a bit under done but since calibrating the meat probe I haven’t had an issue with that. Not sure that’s what you’re referring to though.

Bite through skin @ 300-375...Bump up the heat 450 and baste with butter for a somewhat crispy skin works for me!!

Ive also just had some bad chicken breasts. they are chewy and rubbery and i couldn't do anything to change it. Pan fried, baked, pulled. It all turned out rubbery and gross.

Try Italian dressing marinade 4 hours or over nite is best...smoker on 250... internal temp 165 done!!! Best ever!!!

Try Italian dressing marinade 4 hours or over nite is best...smoker on 250... internal temp 165 done!!! Best ever!!!
that sounds simple and tasty. Ill be trying that for sure! How long does the cook take normally? 2 hours?

My Christmas ducks where under cooked because I didn't plan enough time. They were safe to eat but they were rubbery. I think I just need to allow more time to cook than I think I do.

Ive also just had some bad chicken breasts. they are chewy and rubbery and i couldn't do anything to change it. Pan fried, baked, pulled. It all turned out rubbery and gross.

This. We had several batches of Costco packaged chicken like this. Weird texture. Everything looked ok, chicken was cooked to proper temp, nothing different in the seasoning or timing. We’re pretty convinced that the chicken was spoiled. We haven’t bought Costco chicken since that run of bad product.

I actually threw the question out on Twitter to some of Traeger's "Pro Team" they have listed on their site. Got a response from @roguecookers that helped. On my last cook I brined my chicken and tried a combo of a little salt and some soy sauce which may have caused it to over brine/strange texture. He also suggested spatchcocking and and cooking at 325 for an hour (I have been cooking at 425-450). I followed his suggestions and it came out great. Although the skin wasn't very brown or crisp. I think next time I'll do everything the same but increase the temp to get more browning.

This. We had several batches of Costco packaged chicken like this. Weird texture. Everything looked ok, chicken was cooked to proper temp, nothing different in the seasoning or timing. We’re pretty convinced that the chicken was spoiled. We haven’t bought Costco chicken since that run of bad product.
Same. we always get our chicken from the same superstore, we've encountered the weird chicken breast 3 times on multi-packs(they all ranged from Low end to high end quality). Not sure where to buy otherwise as Costco prices are outrageous for chicken breast up here... same as going to a specialty butcher kinda prices.

I actually threw the question out on Twitter to some of Traeger's "Pro Team" they have listed on their site. Got a response from @roguecookers that helped. On my last cook I brined my chicken and tried a combo of a little salt and some soy sauce which may have caused it to over brine/strange texture. He also suggested spatchcocking and and cooking at 325 for an hour (I have been cooking at 425-450). I followed his suggestions and it came out great. Although the skin wasn't very brown or crisp. I think next time I'll do everything the same but increase the temp to get more browning.
I spatchcock my birds and grill @375° until internal temp hits around 160°. Then I lightly baste with either butter, BBQ sauce, or whatever, and then crank up the temp to anything North of 425° until internal temp gets to at least 165° (and sometimes higher depending on who's eating since some folks like their breasts a little more done). Other parts of the bird will be North of 180° but these parts can take the additional heat. The result is a crispier skin and the meat very seldom seems dry or overdone. This consistently works for me. Good luck.

This likely has zero to do with how it's cooked and everything to do with how mass market chickens are raised. Not to go all Joaquín Phoenix on you, but google "woody breast" and be prepared to not want to eat chicken anymore. I get mine locally now and there's a world of difference.

Back