Start Super Smoke Mode with Top open?

DarienJim

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300, Big Green Egg, Weber Genesis
I have been reading some Reddit threads where people recommend starting your Traeger with the top open when first firing up Super Smoke mode.

Checked the threads in here did not see anything on the topic. Anyone got something to add on this idea?

On the Bronson 20 it has a "smoke setting" not super smoke some people may be mistaken and add the super when talking about it. I did in a previous post. Now to the point, on the Bronson 20 the start up procedure is, to turn the power switch to on, OPEN the lid and set the dial to smoke setting, then wait until you are sure the pellets are burning and close the lid. I just got tbe Bronson for Christmas so it is new. Most newer grills with and without super smoke require lid closed as the controller will continue to feed pellet trying to achieve set temp. Since the lid is open the rtd will read as it is not heating up and will over feed pellets trying to get hot. This inevitably would lead to a unwanted fire in the grill.

Last edited:
if the grill has a super smoke setting its a D2 drivetrain and the instruction booklet says start the grill with the lid closed.

Had a few issues with my 1300 SS mode too at first. Yep, lid was up and after closing the lid, nice big fire and high temp shutdown. So I spent the day trying different steps to keep that from happening again. Found the hotrod was also not sticking out far enough for a normal startup. Fixed that and ended up with these steps:
Set start temp to 170, push the button
Wait until temp stabilizes at 170
Raise the temp to whatever you want (225 or less) and wait until that stabilizes
Put the meat on and again wait until temp stabilizes
Hit the super smoke button only after the set temp is consistent
No more issues with SS and the temp stays fairly steady like it should. If you open the lid with SS on, you may have to start the process over again, just keep an eye on it.

I can see why, to burn off that old stuff & get nice clean smoke from fresh pellets, especially if you haven't vacuumed the old ash & sawdust out. I sometimes start mine that way if I haven't cleaned it in a while for a few minutes after the firepot starts its little inferno and the fan has has a chance to run for a couple minutes, then I close the lid

Back