Stabilizing the temp

captgadget

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
Okay, I set the grill to 275°, push ignite, and after about 15 minutes smoke rolls, and apparently there is fire. Then the temp starts rising and goes past 275°. It goes all the way to 350°. So I don't mess with anything and it takes a good half hour additional time for that temperature to come back down to 275°. So I need to start the grill about an hour ahead of schedule to get things timed properly. Any suggestions here?

I have the same issue on my 1300, but I only have this issue when I preset the grill to the 275 Temp. Any other temp set and it preheats to that setting or no more than a few degrees higher.

I have the same issue on my 1300, but I only have this issue when I preset the grill to the 275 Temp. Any other temp set and it preheats to that setting or no more than a few degrees higher.

Interesting that you both see this behavior when selecting 275 at the time of IGNITE ... for "testing" purposes, is this reproducible if you select 270 or 280?

Another potential "BUG" report ... if only [email protected] was being monitored for useful feedback like this ... :mad:

Interesting that you both see this behavior when selecting 275 at the time of IGNITE ... for "testing" purposes, is this reproducible if you select 270 or 280?

Another potential "BUG" report ... if only [email protected] was being monitored for useful feedback like this ... :mad:

It was not reproducible at 270 or 280 on my 1300. I tried that on the last cook.

I think so! Never really gave it a thought until I saw captgadget's post

I think so! Never really gave it a thought until I saw captgadget's post

I am going to try this on my PRO 780 next grilling session to see if this is a D2 WiFIRE Controller issue, or something specific to the Timberline models ... anyone have an Ironwood model that wants to join in?

I would think any grill with D2 WIFIRE could experience this problem if it is controller related. I mean doesn't the Ironwood models have the same D2 WIFIRE controller as the Timberline models?

My Pro 575 began doing this recently. It will often soar past the target temperature when first pre-heating. It eventually levels out. I thought maybe it was the extreme summer heat messing with the temps, but that seems somewhat unlikely.

I've seen over shooting temps when I ignite at higher settings. Now I ignite at 180, then ramp up once lit.

I would think any grill with D2 WIFIRE could experience this problem if it is controller related. I mean doesn't the Ironwood models have the same D2 WIFIRE controller as the Timberline models?

In theory - yes the PRO, Ironwood, and Timberline share the same D2 WiFIRE Controller with the exception of the additional buttons/features around Smoke / Super Smoke ... the unknown is whether or not the issue is Firmware related (would/should impact all three model lines the same), or something in the Config Version file (which is different for each model of grill) ...

I will report back on the PRO 780 with IGNITING @ 275 degrees later this week - plan on grilling some chicken breast tomorrow ...

I did chicken breasts and thighs tonight, set to 180, it went to 275 and then started to drop back down. I went up to 460 and cranked them out. The temp just gracefully worked up to 460.

Grilling up 5 chicken breasts tonight on the PRO 780 ... set temp @IGNITE to 275 ... it reached temp and then dropped back down into the mid-260s for a period of time before inching its way back up ... left it there for 15m or so and it stayed between 266 and 274 the entire time ... then increased temp to 350 when I put on the chicken breasts and it gradually made its way up to that temp ...

Will try again with the next session to see if any issues with the PRO 780 and IGNITING @275, but at least for this evening, no runaway temps ...

I did chicken breasts and thighs tonight, set to 180, it went to 275 and then started to drop back down. I went up to 460 and cranked them out. The temp just gracefully worked up to 460.

mine did the same thing... what's it doing up in the 200s when it's set at 180... my 225 was at 250 steady for 20 minutes, turn it down to 180, stayed at 250... WT???

mine did the same thing... what's it doing up in the 200s when it's set at 180... my 225 was at 250 steady for 20 minutes, turn it down to 180, stayed at 250... WT???
There naturally will be lag. When you reduce temp setting, the controller drops to its lowest pellet feed rate to still keep a fire going. If it goes too slow on the feed, you could get a flame out.

If it's hot out, it will take more time to dump heat to cool down to the lower settings.

Back