Sous vide

OKAY this thing is like a glorified crock pot, that I get...

I suppose it would be similar, but you have way better temp control and you aren't putting it right in the food.

I suppose it would be similar, but you have way better temp control and you aren't putting it right in the food.

Yeah I'm catching on... I was originally looking for this to cook food "in about the same time as"... but it's a SLOW cooker, which again brings me to that comparison even tho I can tell it's total more accurate... I guess that's what had me stumped meaning, "I can cook a lot faster than that on my grill"... PLUS some REP, of this one I bought, actually said to watch out cuz you can OVER COOK your meat which is what had me saying WHAT??? Cuz I knew the Sous Vide concept was what's in the water never goes over that temp...

Anyway, looking forward to actually driving this 'car' instead of talking about it... so THNX to all (y)(y)(y)

Yeah I'm catching on... I was originally looking for this to cook food "in about the same time as"... but it's a SLOW cooker, which again brings me to that comparison even tho I can tell it's total more accurate... I guess that's what had me stumped meaning, "I can cook a lot faster than that on my grill"... PLUS some REP, of this one I bought, actually said to watch out cuz you can OVER COOK your meat which is what had me saying WHAT??? Cuz I knew the Sous Vide concept was what's in the water never goes over that temp...

Anyway, looking forward to actually driving this 'car' instead of talking about it... so THNX to all (y)(y)(y)

Well after you get done drivin it, let us know how it drove. Im still contemplating gettin the same one.

Well after you get done drivin it, let us know how it drove. Im still contemplating gettin the same one.

COPY THAT!!!

What's up guys! I have had a sous vide long before my Traeger. Here is the low down:
These are awesome tools!!! The ideology behind it is that you cannot ever over cook because your protein will never raise beyond the temperature that the Sous Vide is set to. Last weekend I put on two 4lb bone in Eye of round roasts on Friday evening around 5PM - Set the temp for 54 and just left them alone until Sunday at 5:30PM. It came out grey and not looking very appetizing. My intent WAS to put it on the Traeger for 2 hours on lowest super smoke setting possible, but the kids were hungry and I ended up up finishing it in the oven at 500 (high as my oven goes & it was cold out so wasn't into grilling) for 15minutes.
Everyone was raving how amazing the meat was - next time I will try to incorporate the smoke step to kick it up a notch.
Some advise and tips:
- I use the Avova and you really don't need any of the bells and whistles. Yea, the app is cool but with most proteins the time is not a factor so you don't really need to be so plugged into it or watch it actively (I never use the app with mine even thought I can)
- don't spend big bucks on a specialized bucket. For large cooks - I use a 5 gallon food safe container from Home Depot (same one I store pellets in) cover the top with foil if you have long cooks to avoid evaporation. most cooks (less than 4 hours - you don't even need to worry about evaporation and your largest kitchen pot will do.

Final note. These things really shine with Pork (chops and ribs) which can dry out FAST. You will have the juiciest pork chops EVER with this! There are tons of ways to play with this also that I have not even tried yet. ie. smoke then sous vide then reverse sear / sous vide then smoke then sear / sear then sous vide then smoke... you get the picture.

Last edited:
goodpost.gif

My first try is gonna be a corn beef...
Several recipes say to add 1 cup beef broth and the pickling spice...

One guy says to just vac without anything...

10 hours @ 180°

The Smoking instructions for corned beef is to SOAK over night first or else the salt content after a smoke would be too much to handle...
SO, transfer that fact over to a sous vide and I say adding the cup of broth with spices is a BETTER idea than cooking it sealed for the same reason. Also some say to cool in the frig right out of the water and save it for a next day meal... 350° for 20 minutes, so this might be a SMOKE reheat and I'll see what happens.

others say to SEAR right after the water cook, but I'd rather again, SMOKE for a while instead of SEAR

feedback.gif

10 hours @ 180°

The Smoking instructions for corned beef is to SOAK over night first or else the salt content after a smoke would be too much to handle...
SO, transfer that fact over to a sous vide and I say adding the cup of broth with spices is a BETTER idea than cooking it sealed for the same reason. Also some say to cool in the frig right out of the water and save it for a next day meal... 350° for 20 minutes, so this might be a SMOKE reheat and I'll see what happens.

others say to SEAR right after the water cook, but I'd rather again, SMOKE for a while instead of SEAR

View attachment 3904
New territory!

10 hours @ 180°

View attachment 3904

Smoke that sucker!!

Just remember, it's already cooked at this point.

at 180°? I thought I could take it to 200° with no worries?? I could even paper wrap it maybe .... this is what I mean by experiment

Or as done by one guy, I can just refrig overnight and REHEAT on the smoker till it comes back to 180° then that might be enough???

Even so, I guess I could put it on the Traeger at the KEEP WARM setting with a smoke tube going for a lil while???

Ya, if you cooked to the lower temp, then smoked to the final temp, could be interesting.

I could me way off BUT I'd wrap it and take it to 200f. After all that is when its done know matter how how cook it.......right?

Back