Sous vide

Depending on the food, it could still float. I read that sealing in something like a spoon can be done. I've seen pouches clipped to the side of a pot as well.

Also found silicone covered stainless weights to place onto floaters as well.

Also found silicone covered stainless weights to place onto floaters as well.
I got some big fishin weights. 😁

Great piece of gear - I use a ChefSteps Joule (https://www.chefsteps.com/joule or Amazon). Anova makes a great one also but just make sure whichever has a phone app (lazy is the new cool). You can use ZipLocs or a food bag sealer for the water bath. It works very well on tougher pieces of meat (like skirt steak/fajitas) as the lower cooking temp really allows time to tenderize during the process resulting in beef fajitas that final grill very nicely. Meat is always gray and ugly coming out of sous vide but a quick trip to the grill fixes that with good char. Works fantastic with chicken breasts (seasoned in bag with Tony Chachere's) as they come out flavorful... Grill trip nice but not really necessary.

I’ve had an Anova for several years. What I do a lot of is buy food in bulk and then freeze portions via vacuum sealer bags for my husband and I. I use the sous vide circulator to either defrost prior to going to the grill or alternately, I grill large amounts of food and then freeze smaller portions in the vacuum sealer bags for meals. Then I use a combo of the sous vide circulator and grill to finish up a meal. I have a couple of Rubbermaid food storage containers that I use with the Anova like this. https://smile.amazon.com/Rubbermaid...=1&keywords=Rubbermaid&qid=1611084786&sr=8-37. They are easily cleaned in the dishwasher or by hame.

i have just ordered a sous vide probe for a TW Dot to monitor the temp of the food in the vacuum sealer bag. Mostly because I’m a geek and I want to know the temp of the food before I bring it out of the circulator. But any water proof probe would probably do.

I do weight down items that float either with a water filled Corningware dish (gotta do something with all the stuff that just sits in a drawer) or a small armed thing that suction cups to the bottom of the food storage container.

The last thing that I do is make sure that there is some type of hot pad on the countertop between the circulator bath and the countertop when I am going above ambient temperature.

InkBird is a good brand. I've uses several of their thermostat items for beer fridges, etc. The apps were very basic, but very easy to use. Some of the InstantPot's also have a sousvide option if you want to go with something that also has other uses. I'm pretty sure they also make a standalone sous vide device.

You can use the Meater Therm in a Sous Vide cook??? DUDE really???

For Your Kitchen
Oven, Pan, Range, or Sous Vide
  • For baking, roasting and slow cooks
  • Perfect for cast iron skillets
  • Great for immersion circulators

Latest Discussions

Back