Sous vide

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER #traegergameday Wins 2022/2024
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
Enlighten me, I've never heard of this. Tips, tricks and specifics, equipment would be great.

Last edited:
Cooking in a vacuum bag floating in a precise, temp controlled, water bath. You can add herbs and marinades, vac, and poach.

This is my next exploration as well, looking at app compatible versions and this Breville unit is BT and WiFi capable;

Amazon.com: Breville CS20001 Joule Sous Vide, White Polycarbonate: Kitchen & Dining

They can cook proteins to a perfect temp, then just sear off.
Apparently do amazing eggs, and can gently reheat anything.

Last edited:
I'm very interested, i hope some veteran sous vide users pop in on the thread.

A lot of guys cook home made pastrami this way... one of the biggest cons of home made is it dries out, you actually have to STEAM it, I hate that idea... but when using the sous vide method then smoking for flavor it's said to turn out perfect.

AS above, doing BEEF this way is also a big hit.

A buddie of mine who cooked for a hunting group of guys did this to their steaks (I think he said over 30 of them) and they FREAKED OUT thinking he was ruining them... after the sear they all freaked out again.... at how good it was!!!!!
yumyum.gif

He put 30 steaks in a cooler with HOT water, had a meat Therm to check the water, left them in there till they reached the 130° water temp and seared them.... He said they were in there maybe 90 minutes but the cool thing is, YOU CANNOT OVER COOK THEM... they only go as high as the water temp...

Last edited:
Pastrami is on my list of things to make, i suppose if i had a machine i would try it on steak. I do want to try it on mainly frozen leftovers.

Great way to cook frozen steaks or bigger pieces of meats. I've done chicken wings, brisket, tomahawks, etc. in mine. I have the Anova branded one. Their app is really good and has lots of recipes and guides to get you started. If I'm going to sear something after cooking it, I typically sousvide it 10-15 degrees less than I want it to be when its done.

Brisket & wings are my favorite in there. Usually do briskets for 24-36 hours and then finish them on the Traeger. Wings for 60 mins and then finish on Traeger. Put the rub in the vacuum sealed bag for both and it really gets the flavor in. And nothing dries out because there's nowhere for the moisture to go.

If I buy a bulk pack of steaks or chicken somewhere, I'll usually break down the pack and season/vacuum seal them into smaller packages. Just add 50% to the recommended cook time in their app and you're good to go.

Why do a Brisket for that long when you can bring it to temp sooner... curious

Last edited:
So i could take my Fireboard with a temp probe and pot clip and use the stove to heat the water in a pan. Does the sealed bag need to be immersed or can it float a little?

Back