Some Noob Pro 780 Questions

Parrothead1809

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Just a few quick questions:
  1. After cooking, do you always change out the foil liner in the grease bucket, or just leave hanging with the grease in it? I'm worried wind (or worse, my dog) will knock it off and make a mess. I suspect that I should leave it on well after the grill cools, to catch any final drips. However, with the heat of the Summer coming on, and days will be in the upper 90's, wouldn't that make for more grease drips?
  2. Is it common to line the foil drip trays with another layer of foil, or simply use them as-is. I did read that it's normal to start each cook with a clean liner to prevent prior drippings from fouling your current cook. Thoughts? Those Traeger foil sheets cost !!
I'm sure I'll come up with some more Q&A as I use my new toy!!
Thanks,

-PH

No1. No I don’t change drip bucket liners every cook, you can store it in the grill. The grease drain system on a 780 isn’t that hard to keep clean so if you clean it it shouldn’t drip on hot days. My grill stays in my garage so I leave it hanging on the grill.

No.2. I have never used the traeger liners I use heavy duty aluminum foil and change it after every cook.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
For the foil liner, i just use heavy duty Aluminium foil and fold the edges in so that it fits. Too expensive to keep buying the Traeger brand foil liners. I change this foil liner out depending on how much drippings is stuck on from the previous cook. Not too much and you can leave it in.... If too much old drippings on there, i recommend changing it out as it just burns and gives off bad smells.

As for the bucket, i only change the foil liner in this every couple of months when it fills up.. again i recommend using just a heavy duty foil and making it fit (cheaper). You will find that after the smoker cools down, the fat drippings solidify in there.

Someone modified their bucket by adding a little metal screw to hold in place. I want to do something as tbr bucket is very poorly secured and mine has fell of multiple times just when putting the cover on and off.

I’m in the Timmy camp. After the grill cools I’ll put the bucket inside the grill. I’ll change the bucket when it’s almost half full. It’s not really by process, more that’s just typically when I get around to it.

And I tend to go back and forth between heavy duty foil and Traeger liners. Both work (and one is cheaper). I’ll change it when it’s dirty so it depends what I am cooking. I can go several cooks or one messy cook.

Another thing to throw in the conversation, make sure you vacuum the ash from the grill and fire box. That’s a pretty key point. And that again depends on the time and temp of your cooks.

I try never to let grease get down into the grease bucket because I do not like having to clean out the grease chute. I put a tray underneath the cook to catch all the drippings. I line the tray with foil to minimize cleanup.

I realize that my method does take away grill space that could be used for food. Some like to utilize every square inch of space. I am cooking only for my wife and I, so my Ironwood 885 has more than enough space,

Another thing to throw in the conversation, make sure you vacuum the ash from the grill and fire box. That’s a pretty key point. And that again depends on the time and temp of your cooks.
How often? Every cook? Every couple?
Thanks,
-PH

Thanks,
-PH

My Ironwood reminds me to clean out the grill periodically. However, the recomended cleanings might not be ideal for the way you cook. If you are planning to do a long cook, it might be best to clean the grill before you start the cook. If you cook something that is particularly greasy like pork belly or pork shoulder, you might need to clean the grill right after the cook to remove grease.

Another factor to consider is the type of pellets you use. Some pellets such as applewood tend to contain a lot of silica that can form "clinkers" and clog up the fire pot if you do not remove them.

Thus, there is not set rule on cleaning frequency. You will learn by experience what works best for your grill.

Thanks,
-PH
For me it really depends. I used to do every cook. I keep a small shop vac next to my grill that’s dedicated to ash so it’s easy and quick. Many people use those bucket head vacuums from Home Depot. It really does pay to have one just for ash, though.

Any more I’ll do it after a long cook (4+ hours) or several short cooks.

1. I rarely change out the external grease drip buckets. I use Traeger's, so they're expensive, but they don't really seem to need replacement very often. I like @Timmy 's idea of putting them in the grill when it cools down (i.e., when I put the grill cover back on).

2. On the other hand, I do not use the expensive Traeger foil trays. Like may others, I use heavy-duty aluminum foil. See a couple threads with this discussion linked below.

https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/traeger-drip-trays-stupid-expensive-alternative.1560/

https://www.traegerforum.com/thread...liners-health-question.3251/page-2#post-33475

3. I vacuum out the grill every half-dozen uses or so. Depends: 10 minutes to sear tuna is different than 6 hours to smoke ribs.

1. I rarely change out the external grease drip buckets. I use Traeger's, so they're expensive, but they don't really seem to need replacement very often. I like @Timmy 's idea of putting them in the grill when it cools down (i.e., when I put the grill cover back on).

2. On the other hand, I do not use the expensive Traeger foil trays. Like may others, I use heavy-duty aluminum foil. See a couple threads with this discussion linked below.

https://www.traegerforum.com/threads/traeger-drip-trays-stupid-expensive-alternative.1560/

https://www.traegerforum.com/thread...liners-health-question.3251/page-2#post-33475

3. I vacuum out the grill every half-dozen uses or so. Depends: 10 minutes to sear tuna is different than 6 hours to smoke ribs.
Just keep in mind the expensive ones are way thicker and durable. The foil itself will actually degrade upon the addition of high heat. Not sure where the degraded foil goes but probably not the best. I used to use foil too. I actually find the thicker ones worth the expense just because I’m not grossed out thinking about the foil being disintegrated during use. I suppose if you change it every time it would be fine, but at that point I’m not sure it’s much more economical. Either way I suppose. I like to use pans under dirty cooks as well. I generally don’t concern myself too much with the health issue. I’m sure there are many who are far more conscious of these things.

I've only had my 780 Pro a few months. However.. So far, i've changed out the liner every cook. I used the Traeger liner that came with it, then foil there after.

For the drip bucket.. I'm still on my first one. After a few hours the fat solidifies.. not much to worry about. The fattiest thing i've smoked so far was a pork shoulder butt and there is still barley any drippings in it. My kids knock it off sometimes while they're playing basketball. the grease still stays in the bucket.

Latest Discussions

Back