Software: Firmware Request Feature

KevinJ

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
I find it strange that in order to get a firmware update the grill must be plugged into a power outlet, the device must be turned on and then you are at the mercy of whenever Traeger decides to send you the update. Most devices I can request an update from the menu. If too many people request the firmware at any given time then have the network responded with an appropriate error message. Think of how many less customer service calls they would receive. It would also be so much more convenient for the customer. Plus I would not need to leave this grill plugged into the wall all the time.

I find it strange that in order to get a firmware update the grill must be plugged into a power outlet, the device must be turned on and then you are at the mercy of whenever Traeger decides to send you the update. Most devices I can request an update from the menu. If too many people request the firmware at any given time then have the network responded with an appropriate error message. Think of how many less customer service calls they would receive. It would also be so much more convenient for the customer. Plus I would not need to leave this grill plugged into the wall all the time.

Agreed - the PUSH requirement for updates to the Traeger Firmware / Config Version points to a lack of maturity in the development processes currently in place within Traeger's DEV group (related to the App Team and/or the Hardware Team (Firmware)) .... they have supposedly "promised" PULL update capabilities in a future rev of the App (which will require updates to Firmware as well) ... I leave my PRO 780 plugged in and turned on all the time, but control power via an external INSTEON On/Off Outdoor Module so I can turn on/off from inside the house ...

Agree. Also there’s an app update today and every time I update nothing connects for a few weeks. Terrified to update.

Agree. Also there’s an app update today and every time I update nothing connects for a few weeks. Terrified to update.

2.0.5 App Update on iOS has had no negative impact to our setup ... based on the notes in the App Store, the update from 2.0.4 includes;

Minor fixes to recipe search. More coming
Updates to the shop section and product catalog
Minor enhancements and bug fixes

No issues with my iOS app update grill connectivity, though I haven’t done a cook with it yet.

Hear, hear! There’s no excuse to require keeping the smoker plugged in constantly to distribute firmware at the whim of the provider. Upgrades should be pull, at my discretion and convenience, not Traeger’s.

Hear, hear! There’s no excuse to require keeping the smoker plugged in constantly to distribute firmware at the whim of the provider. Upgrades should be pull, at my discretion and convenience, not Traeger’s.

Agreed as I stated above in a separate reply ... the exceptions being "always" on devices like Amazon Echo & Google Home products where they are "regularly" updating the device for security/bug fixes ... I use WeMo & INSTEON IoT-devices to control Power On/Off of all the IoT-devices in use in our home with the exception of the GE Connect feature which is integrated into the Fridge (for obvious reasons :) ) ... My WeMo devices, which are always on, are Firmware Update controllable given that they device will power cycle itself as part of the update process, and whatever is connected to it will experience a power disruption ...

I am guessing that Traeger took the position that they could successfully handle/navigate the inherent complexities of PUSHing IoT-device updates with minimal impact to their customers, and have discovered that isn't the case, and they now are feeling the negative effects (financial impact having to swap out so many controllers, the financial impact due to an increase in support calls requiring working with an outsourcer to handle the call load, and the "brand" damage that ensues when you upset a non-insignificant percentage of your customers base) ...

Will the updates download while the grill is in sleep mode?

Yes - our PRO 780 got both the Firmware update while Sleeping, and approximately 12 Hours later the Config Version updated ... keep in mind if you haven't seen the updates installed as of yet, and did not leave your grill powered on continuously around 05/19-05/26, that it appears they have paused updates for now to deal with issues impacting a subset of controllers

I don’t have access to the internet at my AK cabin and taking grill to town is not feasible. If I have to disassemble to transport to town it will be to return it to where I purchased this POS.

IMO you can’t call it a grill if it doesn’t get to at least 500 F

I don’t have access to the internet at my AK cabin and taking grill to town is not feasible. If I have to disassemble to transport to town it will be to return it to where I purchased this POS.

IMO you can’t call it a grill if it doesn’t get to at least 500 F

Do you have a Cell Phone capable of creating a Wi-Fi Hotspot? If so, you can try connecting via the Hotspot long enough to download/install the updates and then go back to running the grill in a disconnected state ... you need a 2nd device (tablet or phone) to run the App while the first device is acting as the Wi-Fi Hotspot ...

Back