So who uses a water pan?

Rodney007

Reaction score
Grill
PRO 780
Anyone? And why? How is yours setup/positioned?

Watched Mad sciencd bbq's video on youtube about the water pan and then his video on pallet vs offset and the smokeyness.

Interesting from his findings about how much moisture is let off over a peroid of time burning wood vs burning pallets.

Watched Mad sciencd bbq's video on youtube about the water pan and then his video on pallet vs offset and the smokeyness.

Interesting from his findings about how much moisture is let off over a peroid of time burning wood vs burning pallets.

I use a small water bowl for long cooks as well. Can you post a link to the video?

Maybe that vid will prove my memory is failing but I thought I read from a couple pellet manufacturers that the moisture content in pellets is quite high compared to other fuel sources and, therefore, they claim water is not necessary. Hence, I never use water in my pellet smokers. But of course that doesn't mean it's wrong to use water.

During my last few smokes I was diligent about spraying every hour as well. I'm not sure if that takes the place of needing a water pan?

Rodney I used a water pan the first brisket I tried on the Traeger, like an aluminum casserole pan in back. Haven’t since and for me, haven’t felt I needed. I wrap the brisket about 5-6 hours into the cook in foil, and it’s fine. Moist and tender. I do add a broth or in the last one a little beer at the wrap. I haven’t attempted to wrap in peach paper yet so not sure if that will make a difference. But so far, I haven’t really noticed a need. I’m sure there are others that have done far more on their Traegers than me. But that’s my experience.

Water just uses up energy. I haven't felt the need for it. I believe it was originally used to steady temps in other smokers. No need for that on a Traeger.

I use one of the drip pans for the Timberline 1300. Usually use "old" beer. While not scientific I feel like it gives some extra moisture that helps keep things extra juicy. I know when I watched Aaron Franklin smoke his stuff he put in a water pan into his stick burner.

Latest Discussions

Back