So Many Dumb Questions

Rex

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hey y'all. Received my 1st Traeger from the Mrs for Christmas. Actually, not just my 1st Traeger but my 1st smoker of any kind. My questions are so many and so dumb, I almost want to ask them of Google in Incognito mode.

Thankfully, after absorbing everything on the Traeger site I stumbled across this forum. Still, instead of asking all of those dumb questions right off the bat I'm going to jump in with both feet, see how bad I mess up...and when I do mess up I'll come back to y'all for an after-action review.

Up first (tonight) is a simple (I think) pork tenderloin. Wish me luck!

Thankfully, after absorbing everything on the Traeger site I stumbled across this forum. Still, instead of asking all of those dumb questions right off the bat I'm going to jump in with both feet, see how bad I mess up...and when I do mess up I'll come back to y'all for an after-action review.

Rex, congrats on the new grill! I think it’s smart to dive in with both feet (best learning method there is IMO). I’ve had an Oklahoma Joe’s offset smoker with manual adjustments for 25 years (really difficult to keep a narrow temp band) so I’m sure you’ll be WAY better on your first cook with the Traeger than I am with the Joe’s :)

My wife surprised me this Christmas with a new Century 885 but I’m waiting on delivery from Costco. You probably found this info already but based on recommendations from this forum I purchased a shelf, pellet sensor, smoker tube, 4x6 fiberglass welding mat (insulating blanket), and injector/seasonings. I think your model has similar features as the Century so maybe some of those extras would be helpful to you.

BTW, sorry about your Gators — I was rooting for them against OU!

Welcome to the forum @Rex - Congrats on the Traeger! 🍻 Let us know how the pork came out. 🐖

Hey y'all. Received my 1st Traeger from the Mrs for Christmas. Actually, not just my 1st Traeger but my 1st smoker of any kind. My questions are so many and so dumb, I almost want to ask them of Google in Incognito mode.

Congrats on your new Traeger! A word of advice I always recommend is watch others do the same cook on YouTube before you try. I have.learned a lot from doing that. Search “pork tenderloin on pellet grill” on YouTube and see what you get. Good luck!

Congrats on the new grill, and welcome to the forum and the world of grillin,smokin, and good 'Q!

And questions, go ahead n ask! This is a great site with awesome HELPFUL members!

Thanks for the warm welcome y'all!

Good: the pork tenderloin turned out pretty good for a beginner. Pretty sure 99% of the credit goes to the Traeger.

Bad: Spent 45 minutes on the phone w/a very nice customer service rep about a faulty control unit.

Good: They're sending me a new one. In the meantime I guess I'll have to see if it's possible to cook without wifi (spoiler alert: it is.)

Most of us had fun for a really long time before WiFi integration so it is definitely possible without it and less frustrating. +
It does take time and practice to figure out a new cooker and that adds to the fun! Pork butt is good to get your grill seasoned whether you eat it or not. I did eat most of the bark off of my first Traeger butt and then made a big batch of green chili...

Most of us had fun for a really long time before WiFi integration so it is definitely possible without it and less frustrating. +
It does take time and practice to figure out a new cooker and that adds to the fun! Pork butt is good to get your grill seasoned whether you eat it or not. I did eat most of the bark off of my first Traeger butt and then made a big batch of green chili...
I have to say, at first I thought the wifi was a bit gimmicky but I'm warming up to its potential. Was planning on giving pork butt (or something with similar heft) a shot next week, and didn't even consider the seasoning benefit. Thanks for the tip!

No such thing as a Dumb question, asking is how you learn...

Welcome to the Forum...

user736_pic399_1278284669_thumb.gif

You will be asking questions, whether you think they're dumb or not it might be the same Q someone else was afraid to ask, so we all learn from the answer

Back