So disappointed ....

Ran an Honest test this week cooking steaks and burgers on various platforms ranked in order if goodness. No rubs or sauces, a pinch of S&P and let rest on counter for 20 minutes. Same steaks from same Butcher. Same Burgers from same Butcher. I Do Not eat store bought meat, pure road kill. This is actual results.

1.) Weber Charcoal with Fogo Lump ignited with torch. Moderate heat up time , GREAT sear at 600F short cook time GREAT TASTE !!!
2.) Weber Genesis-B gasser - Seared @600F, Short warm up time, missing the fire taste but OK
3.) Traeger Pro22 - 40 minute warm up , cooked for 20 minutes while heating up cast iron on gasser, reverse sear, takes too long flavor is meh ...
I think we all could have saved you the trouble and told you those results! I never cook steaks or burgers on the Traeger.

Traeger is good for what it’s good for - slow cooks and/or low temp cooks (ie seafood).

Gas is meh but good for quick cooks and or high heat cooks.

Charcoal is best for flavor out of all the methods above. I cook my burgers and steaks over indirect heat and then throw them over the coals for a sear. Makes for a great meal!

Microwave ovens don't make grilled cheese sandwiches very crispy.

Ran an Honest test this week cooking steaks and burgers on various platforms ranked in order if goodness. No rubs or sauces, a pinch of S&P and let rest on counter for 20 minutes. Same steaks from same Butcher. Same Burgers from same Butcher. I Do Not eat store bought meat, pure road kill. This is actual results.

1.) Weber Charcoal with Fogo Lump ignited with torch. Moderate heat up time , GREAT sear at 600F short cook time GREAT TASTE !!!
2.) Weber Genesis-B gasser - Seared @600F, Short warm up time, missing the fire taste but OK
3.) Traeger Pro22 - 40 minute warm up , cooked for 20 minutes while heating up cast iron on gasser, reverse sear, takes too long flavor is meh ...

But maybe an alternative to a pellet (for you) would be your charcoal grill with an aftermarket temperature controller? Sort of The Best of both worlds in that regard. You can do low and slow. And hot and fast. Although you have the gasser for hot and fast too. So you've got options.

I've done a lot of reverse seer on charcoal. Taste good. I also cooked a lot of steaks on my aluminum grillgrates. No charcoal flavor, but it tastes like a steakhouse steak. Both good, but different, IMO.

Burgers? Ever since I started making smash burgers with 80/20 ground beef and a pinch of kosher salt, I haven't made a regular burger on a grill. They cook so fast there's no time to pick up any charcoal flavor if I make them on charcoal.

But maybe an alternative to a pellet (for you) would be your charcoal grill with an aftermarket temperature controller? Sort of The Best of both worlds in that regard. You can do low and slow. And hot and fast. Although you have the gasser for hot and fast too. So you've got options.

I've done a lot of reverse seer on charcoal. Taste good. I also cooked a lot of steaks on my aluminum grillgrates. No charcoal flavor, but it tastes like a steakhouse steak. Both good, but different, IMO.

Burgers? Ever since I started making smash burgers with 80/20 ground beef and a pinch of kosher salt, I haven't made a regular burger on a grill. They cook so fast there's no time to pick up any charcoal flavor if I make them on charcoal.
Need the cast iron for reverse sear for sure ..

My first impression of my Grillgrates on my 575... I turned up to 500 and grilled a Strip steak, approx 1" thick... Did the 2 minutes, rotate same side, 2 minutes, Flip, 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes... Steaks were almost 140 degrees... Gave another 2 minutes and removed at 140 degrees. Very adequate grill marks on both sides and and after resting a perfect medium rare... I'm happy with these results. Looking forward to trying hamburgers and kabobs. Will remove Grillgrates for the low and slow stuff.

My first impression of my Grillgrates on my 575... I turned up to 500 and grilled a Strip steak, approx 1" thick... Did the 2 minutes, rotate same side, 2 minutes, Flip, 2 minutes, rotate, 2 minutes... Steaks were almost 140 degrees... Gave another 2 minutes and removed at 140 degrees. Very adequate grill marks on both sides and and after resting a perfect medium rare... I'm happy with these results. Looking forward to trying hamburgers and kabobs. Will remove Grillgrates for the low and slow stuff.
Like this?

Attachments

• 20200815_182447.jpg
    20200815_182447.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 25
How do you prime auger on Traeger Tailgater?
Not 100% sure but I think push up arrow and ignite buttons at same time. Once it engages you let off the buttons. Can’t remember if you have to manually stop the prime or it shuts off. If it doesn’t shut off by itself I think just press the center button. Or shut it off via power switch. Usually there is a timer count down on units with auto prime. Good luck.

You make great steaks and probably have it to an art for yourself, but this opening and closing the lid this many times is what I can't get a hold off... but like I said, you can so POINTS for you.

I don't think the lid has to be down when searing as part of the reverse sear method. The internal temp is supposed to be close to where you want it. The searing won't affect the internal temperature that much.

So no need to have to lid down because not really trying to cook the meat. Just affect the outside layer.

That's my experience.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back