Smoking/grilling multiple items on the Timberline 1300

Stew55024

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
Before I begin let me apologize as I am sure this has already been covered. I tried asking this in the search box but nothing came up. I have owned a timberline for about a month now. Before owning this my grilling consisted of Steaks, dogs, chicken breast and hamburgers. So far in the month that I have owned my Traeger I have smoked brisket once five racks of baby backs twice, brats and hamburgers and steaks once. My question is how do you cook multiple items at once. For example tomorrow I am trying the pork tenderloin recipe and I want also would like to add baked potatoes using my potato nails. Two different temperatures. The tenderloin is supposed to be at 225 for three hours and the potatoes should be 350 for 45 to 50 min. Is there a guide out there on how to multitask? Or do you just plan on letting them cook longer at a lower temperature? If so what would recommend? What would be great is some kind of guide for cooking times at lower temperatures if one exist.

Actually this one was covered before but a search would need the right key word...

Timmy & Rusty or Murphy will chime in here... stay tuned 🤞

Timmy & Rusty or Murphy will chime in here... stay tuned 🤞
Yes, Timmy and Rusty are the experts on this. What I have done a few times is to divide the items into (1) low & slow, usually 180 - 225 degrees, and (2) high & fast, usually 300 - 350 degrees. I usually can do all the low & slow together first and when they are done and resting, start on the high & fast.

On the low & slow, I try to time the items such that they hit 165 degrees at about the same time. A brisket will go in first at 180 degrees (previous night), then sometime the next morning a rack of ribs may go in. Both will get wrapped around noon and the pit temperature will be increased to 225 (or 250) degrees. The ribs will get done first and removed and then the brisket. Now the grill is ready for potatoes, casseroles, mac & cheese, etc. at 350 degrees.

Also, anything needing more than 350 degrees goes on the gas grill.

I generally don’t go over 250f on a cook. I just cook foods longer. Overnight I cook at around 190f, in the morning I up temp to around 220f. So I would put your potatoes on at about the same time as your pork, and cook at the same temp. I found a “rule of thumb” for cooking at lower temp longer. But I cant remember or find it again. Personally I bake a potato like in a regular oven, wrapped in foil. You can smoke it first then wrap in foil also. Mainly it’s trial and error and practice.

What Timmy said :)

I've done brisket or pork butt overnight at < 225 then put ribs on mid-morning on a the ever-popular 3-2-1 method. Later on, as needed, I'll throw on the steak, dogs, burgers etc. and crank temp up as needed. By that time the low-and-slow have gotten most of the smoke they can absorb (I think), and if you're luck, you can time things to come off in the same general time.

One thing I'd definitely invest in are decent coolers (there was a thread for stackable coolers that are great for resting brisket and similar items), so you can have those low-and-slow items resting for hours if you really do need to crank up 300+ for a particular item.

Good luck!

On larger cuts of meat resting is your friend. A couple weeks ago I did some chuck roasts low and slow. I planned them to be done about 2 hours before dinner. About an hour before they were done I put on some baked potatoe's and then once I rested the chucks I threw on 2 tri tips. I pulled them off and during their 20 minute rest period I got the chucks and potatoes ready. I do the same with briskets. I will factor in a rest period of 3-4 hours and use that time to cook whatever else we are having.

Before I begin let me apologize as I am sure this has already been covered. I tried asking this in the search box but nothing came up. I have owned a timberline for about a month now. Before owning this my grilling consisted of Steaks, dogs, chicken breast and hamburgers. So far in the month that I have owned my Traeger I have smoked brisket once five racks of baby backs twice, brats and hamburgers and steaks once. My question is how do you cook multiple items at once. For example tomorrow I am trying the pork tenderloin recipe and I want also would like to add baked potatoes using my potato nails. Two different temperatures. The tenderloin is supposed to be at 225 for three hours and the potatoes should be 350 for 45 to 50 min. Is there a guide out there on how to multitask? Or do you just plan on letting them cook longer at a lower temperature? If so what would recommend? What would be great is some kind of guide for cooking times at lower temperatures if one exist.
I’d cook everything at 225. Extend the time for the ‘taters an hour or so. Even if they cook a bit longer, they probably won’t burn.

Back