Smoking a cowboy steak

Uncleman

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
My wife brought a 3 pound cowboy steak home and she would like me to smoke it on our new Traeger, any recipes, general info willl be appreciated, never tried this before.
Thanks, jim

Thanks, this cut is 3 inches thick , a friend suggested smoking it to an internal temp of 110, then switch it over to the hot gas grill for finishing.
Anyone ever tried that?
Thanks, jim

Thanks, this cut is 3 inches thick , a friend suggested smoking it to an internal temp of 110, then switch it over to the hot gas grill for finishing.
Anyone ever tried that?
Thanks, jim
YES

Im assuming you have cooked it by now, how did you do it and how did it turn out? If it was mine I would have put it on a grill at about 225 degrees until internal temp of around 120 or so. Then on to my smoking hot blackstone for about a minute on each side to sear.

Smoke it at about 200, or lower if your Traeger can handle it, until it reaches 110 in the thickest part. Then, finish it over high direct heat, either gas or charcoal.

Today I learned that a ribeye is also called a "cowboy steak."

They should teach things like this in school. Much more useful than, say, algebra.

I smoked it to 110 with the Traeger set at 225. It took a couple of hours to get to 110, from there it went into the gas grill se at about 450. My wife is the grilled and I’m not exactly sure what temp she brought it to but it was fantastic, a real treat,

since then I have smoked a brisket and also some ribs, the Traeger has worked well, it keeps temperature steady and cleans up easily, really happy with it

Latest Discussions

Back