SmokeFire Sear+ ELX6 vs new Ironwood XL

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
Thoughts on the new Weber SmokeFire Sear+ compared to the new Traeger Ironwood XL?

smokefire-searplus.jpg

Smoke, roast, sear and satisfy with the SmokeFire Sear+ ELX6 wood pellet grill. With a maximum temperature reaching 600°F and an included WEBER CRAFTED Dual-Sided Sear Grate, you can create rich, restaurant-worthy sear marks. Or maybe you want to smoke ribs low and slow, or roast vegetables. This versatile, all-in-one pellet grill does all that and more, plus added cooking space to cook more at one time. And with WEBER CONNECT technology, you can adjust your settings and receive step-by-step assistance on your smartphone so you can achieve perfectly grilled food every time.

• Achieve restaurant-quality sear or smoke with 200-600°F range
• Includes WEBER CRAFTED grates, Frame Kit and Dual-Sided Sear Grate
• Grill even more food with the extra-large top cooking grate
• Control your grill for great results with WEBER CONNECT technology
• Master evening cooks with NIGHTVISION surface and knob lighting
• Add a supercharged smoky flavor with SmokeBoost
• Prep your meal at the grill with two convenient side tables

The smoke level / profile is substantially higher on the Smokefire. Also the searing is an entire level or two above any pellet grill out there. Their 600 is really hot vs other more indirect pellet cookers. It’s all you can do to hold your hand in there while grilling at even 500. Better make sure you own 16” tongs!
The Traeger is top of class in their interface and application. Also it’s very reliable as a whole compared to almost all the competitors. Sure there are exceptions but every manufacturer has some level of failure. Many times it’s driven by the user even though that is never quantified. The new guts of the timberlines and ironwoods is a huge improvement in my opinion. Way easier maintenance and cleaning.

if you are looking to grill I’d buy a Smokefire. If you have no or little interest in grilling, just smoking and “baking” then an Ironwood is hard to beat. Life choices man!

Oh, the Weber crafted stuff is pretty good stuff IMO. Most of the cast things are enameled which is a game changer as far as I’m concerned. Incredible ease of care and very durable. Nice stuff. I don’t know why everyone doesn’t move to the enameled cast whenever possible.

When I go larger at some point the weber is definitely on my short list. As is the Ironwood. The Timberline just cost way to much imo

Thanks @JPSBBQ - It would certainly be a tough decision between the two. The new SmokeFire seems like a good value and it does appear most of the bugs have been ironed out. I have Weber Genesis that's been an awesome gas grill, but looking to consolidate into one larger grill/smoker. My Traeger has been very reliable, so it's hard to switch brands. I'm in no hurry so plenty of time to wait for reviews on both new grills to come out.

I am guessing the 3rd version already addressed the grease fires?

I am guessing the 3rd version already addressed the grease fires?
Grease fires occur in any cooking apparatus where grease is present and the temperature rises above 375 degrees. It’s science. The video of Baby Back Maniac intentionally inducing a grease fire is a terrible bit of malpractice. One has to be somewhat intelligent to use these grills. Stupid or negligent actions can result in mishaps. The Weber Smokefire is no more likely to have a grease fire than any grill out there. The only real reason it might occur more frequently is that it is a far superior “grill”. This means the owners will use it at high temps far more frequently than other pellet cookers. Because it actually grills. Now if you’ve cooked three chickens or two pork butts the night before and crank the thing up to 600 without any regard for cleaning, you are irresponsible. Same goes for other pellet grills. I don’t care what kinda grease tray there is, there is still animal fat on the tray or liner. If you raise the temp high enough, it will combust. YouTube guy showed himself to be a hack that day. I believe he received the appropriate backlash too. 👍🏻

Latest Discussions

Back