Smoke Tube!

midwest

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 780
"So just read where a proud new Traeger smoker owner cannot keep his 'Smoke Tube' lit!"

I poked around on Traeger's website and I didn't see anywhere they call it a pellet smoker. They refer to it as a pellet grill. Some people don't research before buying and their expectations are not where they should be.

RayClem

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
"So just read where a proud new Traeger smoker owner cannot keep his 'Smoke Tube' lit!"

I poked around on Traeger's website and I didn't see anywhere they call it a pellet smoker. They refer to it as a pellet grill. Some people don't research before buying and their expectations are not where they should be.

The most accurate description of a Traeger cooking appliance is probably "convection oven".

Because it uses wood pellets dried to 5% moisture, it will never achieve the smoke flavor of properly seasoned wood logs, chunks, or chips that will be somewhere around 20% moisture. Thus, it cannot achieve results comparable to a dedicated smoker.

Likewise, it will barely reach the temperature required to sear steaks. Calling it a grill is a bit of a stretch. Using grill grates or a cast iron or carbon steel pan will help with the searing.

A Traeger it is wonderful for roasting and baking, tasks usually assigned to an oven. Since the Traeger has a circulation fan, it is a convection oven.

The main advantage of a Traeger is that it automated the process. You can start a cook "low and slow" in the evening and leave it unattended overnight. You cannot do that with an offset smoker or charcoal grill.

midwest

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 780
I mostly agree, however I don't think you should not call it a grill just because it can't seer a steak. Other then the handful of of fanatics who are on these forums. I would venture to say a high percentage of the people who own a grill just throw food on it and cook it. The number of us who slow cook, then seer, or just seer a steak is probably very low compared to those who just fire up their grill and throw food on it.