Smoke blocks

Has anyone tried using these to add a bit more smoke to a cook?
Yes, I've used these. They do add smoke, but are still not what I would call "real" smoke from actual smoldering wood. They last a few hours and I am using the remaining blocks that I have left to add supplemental smoke to the smoke tubes with wood chips. After trying to get real smoke on the ribs, the wood chips are the best option and the flavor is just like my WSM that I used for years. It takes 2 long tubes, but it makes the Traeger an actual smoker.

I can't believe Traeger doesn't make some kind of smoldering device for wood chips that's built in to the grill. The Traeger has everything going for it, but sadly, still just sawdust burning. The flavor is different. There should be a forum for increasing smoke on the Traeger. I'd love to hear what others are doing. : )

Where do you place your smoke tubes, on the grill or on the heat diffuser below it ? Thanks.

I put one on each end of the lower grill. Then I put ribs & chicken on the top grate, meat side down. The air circulation blows it around well.

I put the MOJO brick on the heat diffuser.

One of my Mojo bricks cracked and so I see that they are somewhere in between wood chips and pellets. They are not sawdust, but are sort of like shreds of chips pressed together. That would explain why the smoke is better than pellets, but not as good as wood chips or chunks.

Attachments

• Mojo Brick.jpg
    Mojo Brick.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 19
Back