Silverton 810 or Timberline 1300?

Steeleshark2

Reaction score
I am looking into purchasing my first pellet grill. Costco is having a roadshow this coming week. I really like the Timberline 1300 but $2000 is pretty steep for a grill in my opinion but not out of the question. Is it worth $700 more for the Timberline over the Silverton 810? I don’t care as much for narrower grills that add cooking space by adding shelves such as the Timberline 850. What are your thoughts?

I just built a Silverton 620 for my neighbor, compared to a Timberline it is a cheap tin can. I don't know how much better an 810 is, but Timberlines are very solid heavy gage metal with double walls and solid stainless steel grates.

I was finally able to see a Timberline in person a couple of weeks back, I was amazed at how heavy the door was and how solid the unit seemed. There is quite a bit if difference from my Ironwood and the Timberline. I knew there was more insulation, but there seems to be a bit heavier construction on the Timberline.
I never had the opportunity to see them prior to my purchase this spring. I made an online purchase, sight unseen. The price point is what drove me to the Ironwood

I had the same decision to make.
‘I went and purchased a Sliverton 810.. it went together clean. However it was as hot outside as inside, when you do a reverse sear and the lid is 500 degrees ( yup got some good burns),controller setting did not match the real temp in the grill, also a 50 degree gradient across the grill, called CS and they were quite responsive, but could not fix the issues I took it back 90 days later (no questions asked) and bought a Timberline 1300 Though I seriously doubt that I would have the same type of CS from ACE that one gets from Costco.
Once setup I did a “RemE insulation project“ and not only can I do 6 rib racks, or 2 turkeys which could not have been done in the Silverton. The lid now barely gets over 100 when when I have run the Ti.mberline at 450 for an hour+.
The Timberline also has a better seal on the lid (perhaps because it is heavier).
Read the Silverton and Timberline threads here for a good background on both models.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I went ahead and did something!

Attachments

• 9AE2FE91-F5C9-4CE7-8BD4-35AB3C34469B.jpeg
    9AE2FE91-F5C9-4CE7-8BD4-35AB3C34469B.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 217
I was finally able to see a Timberline in person a couple of weeks back, I was amazed at how heavy the door was and how solid the unit seemed. There is quite a bit if difference from my Ironwood and the Timberline. I knew there was more insulation, but there seems to be a bit heavier construction on the Timberline.
I never had the opportunity to see them prior to my purchase this spring. I made an online purchase, sight unseen. The price point is what drove me to the Ironwood
The feel of the lid and the overall sturdiness made me opt for the 850 even though I don't need a smoker that big.
If there were a 650 I would have chose that but am really happy with my Timberline 850.

Nice unit, I am sure that you will get many hours of quality cooking with it....
read the threads on the 1300 for many hints and mods if you want to do them.
‘Welcome to the forum. Lott‘s of good information here....

I got the Silverton 810 and I believe the rep said the only difference is the square inches and the cabinet.

I got the Silverton 810 and I believe the rep said the only difference is the square inches and the cabinet.
Ha, check them in person, I think you will find that to be a pretty big stretch.

I was going back and forth between the ironwood and the timberline. Since I had enough credit card points to get the $2,000 Timberline for free, and used TopCashBack to link me to AceHardware it gave me 4% cash pack on the purchase AND rewards points for AceHardware. So I ended up getting paid about $130-140 to get the Timberline. Seeing how cold weather can cause things to take longer to build up heat, it made me glad I did the timberline as it has an advantage by having not just the walls double walled but also the lid. And it helps regain temperature after lid was opened for a little bit too. So timberline very useful in colder weather and cooking overnight.

Why Timberline and not Ironwood? what more are you getting that you think is a must have over the Ironwood 885?
I didn’t want to mess with the lid issue on the Ironwood. I went with the Timberline and am very happy. I also enjoy having double walls throughout.

I didn’t want to mess with the lid issue on the Ironwood. I went with the Timberline and am very happy. I also enjoy having double walls throughout.
Thank you, I wasn’t aware of lid issues, interesting. Also, have you considered the Costco only builds? Like the Century 885 or Silverton 810 ?

Thank you, I wasn’t aware of lid issues, interesting. Also, have you considered the Costco only builds? Like the Century 885 or Silverton 810 ?
They supposedly worked out the lid issue but I still don’t like the gap I saw in the store.
The Costco Traeger roadshow went by my local Costco and they didn’t have the larger Silverton. I don’t know if they make them anymore as I don’t see it as an option on the website. I didn’t look at the Century as I saw reviews that seemed to think the warming box was pulling heat from the rest of the smoker. Either way, I just decided Timberline and I am very happy with my choice. I just finished a cook while I had friends visit.

Attachments

• 12C53990-A0DB-4141-B00B-88CAE94637D7.jpeg
    12C53990-A0DB-4141-B00B-88CAE94637D7.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 64
  • 03810589-EC8A-4320-AC02-A98D17941762.jpeg
    03810589-EC8A-4320-AC02-A98D17941762.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 80683F35-A47A-4F8C-9402-F6BBEA2C4703.jpeg
    80683F35-A47A-4F8C-9402-F6BBEA2C4703.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 189C1CFF-9F84-4BE3-A815-5BEC04A52ED2.jpeg
    189C1CFF-9F84-4BE3-A815-5BEC04A52ED2.jpeg