Seasoning cast iron on the Traeger

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER #traegergameday Wins 2022/2024
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
I've got 5 or 6 cast iron skillets i want to season, 2 will need sandblasted. Has anyone tried this?

Sandblasting for sure???

No way that chain link scrubber won't work???

Sandblasting is another method Nick says to steer clear of: it not only cleans everything off, it also permanently alters the original surface of the cast iron.

One of them maybe, the other may be a lost cause. Its been sitting outside. Thanks for the links!

Sandblasting for sure???

No way that chain link scrubber won't work???

Looks like i need to get some vinegar!
I'll try that first and see how it works!

I love my chain link scrubber for my cast iron pans. It takes everything off with a splash of water and few scrubs and bam done.

I love my chain link scrubber for my cast iron pans. It takes everything off with a splash of water and few scrubs and bam done.
I have a really really really rusty one. Will it work on rust?

I don’t think that the chain link scrubber would work well for heavy rust. I have used steel wool and Bar Keepers Friend to restore cast iron, and remove rust.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Put some vinegar in it and let it sit for a few hours. Pull it out and try scrubbing it with it. Maybe it’s not a lost cause. I would use some sand paper even before I had someone sand blast it.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. Put some vinegar in it and let it sit for a few hours. Pull it out and try scrubbing it with it. Maybe it’s not a lost cause. I would use some sand paper even before I had someone sand blast it.
I have a sandblast cabinet. That the only reason i mentioned it.

Well , the wife wont let me use the oven. So would the Traeger or gas grill be better to heat it up?

Im thinkin gasser.

Well , the wife wont let me use the oven. So would the Traeger or gas grill be better to heat it up?

Im thinkin gasser.
It's not going to smoke or anything, but if not, use the Traeger as it can be set to hold a temp.

My wife has a cast iron skillet and I used Rollin's method to season her's in oven no problem.

use the Traeger as it can be set to hold temp.
Good point!
Im getting stoked for warmer weather, i wanna do other foods besides just meat. And plan on using the cast iron alot this summer.

Here is the worst one, it a 8".
20210203_230354.jpg

Here is the worst one, it a 8".View attachment 4022
Flip it over, and see who makes it. The reason I ask is that I see what appears to be some pretty deep pits. If that is the case, it is pretty much shot. You can never get those deep pits out, and they won’t season very well. If it is an old Griswold, Wagner, Victor, etc, then it might be worth it, but you can pick up a preseasoned 8” lodge for 20 bucks on Amazon. Is 20 bucks worth the amount of time that it is gonna take to restore that? Just sayin......

Latest Discussions

Back