Sear a Ribeye

davwhite

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 575
I am in Australia so hopefully I still have a few people around who can help me with this.
My PRO 575 is currently set to a max 450F and am still waiting for the config update.

My ribeye was going in the traeger in approx 2 1/2 hours. The plan was to cook at 225F for an hour, turn up the temp to 500F and sear till cooked.
So can I sear at 450F or is a waste of time?
I can put my BBQ plate in the Traeger to get some heat but will that be enough?
Plan B is to cook until the ribeye reach 110F and then throw it on the hot BBQ plate

Any thoughts?

I do a lot of reverse searing on steaks. I don't let it sit out to room temp - I hit it with whatever seasoning and let it adhere for a few minutes and then its straight to the low heat. This brings the internal temp up slowly and allows some smoke to hit it. Depending on the cut (thickness), I'll pull from anywhere from 110-120, crank it up to 500 and sear it off on some grill grates for a crust and the hatch marks. If you cant get GrillGrates down under, cast iron should do the trick. An accurate meat probe is a must. Hope this helps.

I‘m sure by now you’ve cooked and ate the ribeye... Ribeye is my go to when it comes to steak however on a reverse sear a lean cut IMO is the way to go.

I do let it rest at room temp seasoned as I do everything I cook before putting it on. To each their own no right or wrong here. Smoke at 200* till 110* internal like dsmero. Pull crank the heat and then sear even if you only get 450* I think it will do just fine. I’m a 135* internal which pushes through a little more after resting before eating. I also flip about 13* into the sear just so I can have marks on both sides.. Hope this helps on the next one.

I am in Australia so hopefully I still have a few people around who can help me with this.
My PRO 575 is currently set to a max 450F and am still waiting for the config update.

My ribeye was going in the traeger in approx 2 1/2 hours. The plan was to cook at 225F for an hour, turn up the temp to 500F and sear till cooked.
So can I sear at 450F or is a waste of time?
I can put my BBQ plate in the Traeger to get some heat but will that be enough?
Plan B is to cook until the ribeye reach 110F and then throw it on the hot BBQ plate

Any thoughts?

You're probably already aware of this, but if not, covering bases ...

The May Update release is "on hold" at the moment pending a programmatic "fix" for issues impacting a subset of WiFIRE Controllers (unexpected shutdowns) ... once they release the fix, the Traeger Cloud will start PUSHing down the current versions to all registered Grill UUIDs ...

The update comes in 2 stages ... Firmware first (02.01.02 is current, could change with "fix"), then followed 12-24 hours later with the Config Version update (this is where features are updated / added) to the grill ... the Config Version is grill model specific - for the PRO 575, the current version is 04.016 (that could change as well once the "fix" is released) ...

More info @ - https://www.traegergrills.com/status ... the problem with the unexpected shutdowns is listed as a KNOWN ISSUE here - https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-troubleshooting

I like to smoke the ribeye at 180* until Internal temp reaches 110 then drop them on a hot charcoal grill to sear. I always wrap with bacon so the charcoal flames up and sears quickly. Watch the internal temps while grilling or it will overcook quickly.

We have a Timberline 850 and can get the temp up to 500 degrees but even cooking the steak at that temp for the entire time, it really doesn't sear like it did on the Weber gas or charcoal. The steak is brown and has light marks from the bars but I wouldn't call it a sear. Saying that, the light smoky taste is wonderful. We have fired up the Weber (equipped with a variable regulator from a crab cooker) to about 600 degrees and finished off there........now that is a sear!!!

I'm a new owner and purchased grillgrates, which supposedly raise the temperature 100-150 degrees. That sounds great in theory. There has been mention about reverse searing which smokes the steak first at low temperature and then raising the temperature to 500 degrees and searing on the grates to finish. That sounds like it will create grill marks but not really sear cook the steak. Has anyone just seared the steak on the grillgrates with no previous smoking? I will try it out tomorrow and report back.

Yes I've done streak burgers and chicken using grillgrates. Done to temp and diamond shape sear marks. Works Great!!!

I'm a new owner and purchased grillgrates, which supposedly raise the temperature 100-150 degrees. That sounds great in theory. There has been mention about reverse searing which smokes the steak first at low temperature and then raising the temperature to 500 degrees and searing on the grates to finish. That sounds like it will create grill marks but not really sear cook the steak. Has anyone just seared the steak on the grillgrates with no previous smoking? I will try it out tomorrow and report back.
Yep, I've just regular seared on them many of times. Brought the steaks up to room temps letting them sit out then do a rotate, flip, rotate and rotate every 2-4 minutes depending on the thickness to get even cooking and marks/crust. I run a meat probe to make sure I nail the 127 degree mark which carries over into the mid 130s during the rest.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable cooking directly over the firepot with all the drippings. What a mess. Traeger probably supplies Kosmos with grills at no cost. I'm hoping the grates alone will accomplish something close to that steak because it looked absolutely great!

I started off low and slow at 225F until the internal reached 110F. Took the ribeye off and turned up the Traeger to max. I put my BBQ grill plate on the rack. Waiting, waiting I knew I could only get 450F max but it was taking so long so I gave up at 400F and put the ribeye in. Cooked until internal was 125F, off and tented for 10 mins and it was the best ribeye to date. Thanks for all your help guys. And BTW I just bought a Grillgate 16" so the ribeye should last even better next time.

Last edited:
Success! The grillgrates did their job on steak cooked strickly on the grates at the highest temperature. Deep crusty marks that grilled the steaks, not just providing grill marks on a microwaved piece of meat. Next time I would cook on the griddle side which I believe would yield a Pittsburgh style steak, with a full coating of tasty crust. I was very impressed how quickly the grill got back to 500 after opening the top-within a minute or 2.

Success! The grillgrates did their job on steak cooked strickly on the grates at the highest temperature. Deep crusty marks that grilled the steaks, not just providing grill marks on a microwaved piece of meat. Next time I would cook on the griddle side which I believe would yield a Pittsburgh style steak, with a full coating of tasty crust. I was very impressed how quickly the grill got back to 500 after opening the top-within a minute or 2.
Awesome! I do the griddle side of the grates for burgers and it makes an awesome crust. Have to try a steak. Those grates really do absorb heat and the grill does rebound quickly when the door is opened/closed.

It's really a tossup if you want wood fire & smoke flavor then you go with a reverse sear but if you want more marks/crust then you go with a regular full sear.

Back