Safety issue

YoMama#68

Reaction score
Grill
doesn't state on grill anywhere, husband bought it, i dunno!?!
Big heads up on potential injury! Just prepped lamb shank (just one large one, weight @2lb.) according to Traeger recipe online. Got dutch oven ready to transfer meat after searing (which the grill did beautifully..).
Now, here's the issue- placed the dutch oven on the top of the square loader box, lifted the grill lid to transfer the meat to it and THE WHOLE TRAEGER UNIT TIPPED OVER..spilled oven and contents of cooking liquid, all the pellets, and caught the index finger of my left hand bruised and burned it. Could have been way worse if a child had been standing there.
Bottom line- Grill is not balanced to hold a cast iron dutch oven on it's side box and this should be stated as a safety issue in their manual or as a permanent sticker on the grill itself.

Grill is not balanced to hold a cast iron dutch oven on it's side box and this should be stated as a safety issue in their manual or as a permanent sticker on the grill itself.
I'm sorry this happened to you.
The HOPPER has to holds weight all the time, (pellets) I have placed lots of heavy items on my hopper before and not even close to being lopsided.
If your grill was NOT on level ground to begin with then I can see this but then that would just make sense.
If you have one of the portable grills then yeah I can see this happening.

Maybe you can provide a pic of your grill?? maybe it's not assembled correctly?

30lbs on my hopper area and grill not even close to unstable...

20210723_203126.jpg

Big heads up on potential injury! Just prepped lamb shank (just one large one, weight @2lb.) according to Traeger recipe online. Got dutch oven ready to transfer meat after searing (which the grill did beautifully..).
Now, here's the issue- placed the dutch oven on the top of the square loader box, lifted the grill lid to transfer the meat to it and THE WHOLE TRAEGER UNIT TIPPED OVER..spilled oven and contents of cooking liquid, all the pellets, and caught the index finger of my left hand bruised and burned it. Could have been way worse if a child had been standing there.
Bottom line- Grill is not balanced to hold a cast iron dutch oven on it's side box and this should be stated as a safety issue in their manual or as a permanent sticker on the grill itself.
Can you post a picture of your grill?

So I wonder if you have a tailgater with straight pointed legs??? was it in the grass, those can sink easy.

tg.JPG

I searched the manual and NO WARNING about this that I could find

Back