Rusty Baffle

Pt moore

Reaction score
Grill
Century 34
My upper heat baffle and grease tray are very rusty. I even clean and vacuum each time I use it.
This cant be healthy. Has anyone replaced with stainless steel? I have a century 34 2019

Mine are too. When I know I'm not going to be cooking for a while, I will spray mine with the cooking oil spray from Costco.

Not much you can do except cover the tray with foil and keep the grill relatively clean. Every time you cook you'll sterilise the grill interior. Even stainless will discolour and rust. I make sure the grease trough on my 650 is wiped out and I run a piece of paper towel through the channel to the drip can.
The older grills have a slightly different grease pan but the same procedures apply. If your tray warps or pits through request a replacement. There's a 3 year warranty on them. Out of warranty they're $10 shipped.

Traeger sell a foil cover for too much money. I can cover either the original design or the Ironwood with the standard width foil in about 5 minutes.

Not much you can do except cover the tray with foil and keep the grill relatively clean. Every time you cook you'll sterilise the grill interior. Even stainless will discolour and rust. I make sure the grease trough on my 650 is wiped out and I run a piece of paper towel through the channel to the drip can.
The older grills have a slightly different grease pan but the same procedures apply. If your tray warps or pits through request a replacement. There's a 3 year warranty on them. Out of warranty they're $10 shipped.

Traeger sell a foil cover for too much money. I can cover either the original design or the Ironwood with the standard width foil in about 5 minutes.
I have been using 18” wide aluminum foil from Costco for years. Inexpensive and works great.

I started using the 12" because the 18" was hard to control in a wind. No cutting or folding,just overlap. Different strokes is all, both are inexpensive.

One thing that has helped stop the rust on my baffle was to season it a few cooks in a row with canola oil prior to putting liner in place. I had to take a wire brush on my drill to get all of the old rust off but then oiled it and did a cook. When I cleaned the grill out it had a nice seasoning layer on it similar to my cast iron pans. It can be a little messy but worth it in my mind.

InkBird

Latest Discussions

Back