running hot as well

I've had that problem a few times while the smoker was in the shade.I always vacuum the inside before I use it. 2 times it shot up over 100°. I turned it off,took out everything
and vacuumed it out again put it back together started up ran 225° for the rest of both cooks.

The air temps were in the mid 80's.......I have a small 3 side building its in, well ventilated so its out of direct sunlight. Its cleaned and vacuumed after every use (once cooled). It would be nice if you could actually talk with someone from Traeger, not someone reading from a checklist......frustrating to say the least

I had the Pro22 and sold it for many of the reasons stated here. My temperatures were varying by as much as 80F. When you are trying to cook a brisket at say 225 and your temp goes as high as 300 and then drops to 175 you have problems. And then the fire would go out, happened a few times and that is hell to play with a brisket. Eventually I was sent a new controller and a few of the problems left.
I had lost my desire to cook anymore and eventually sold it.
But my low and slow instinct got to me, I couldn't do without a Traeger.
Three months later I bought the 575 and it is fantastic and I have been happy ever since.
I am not so concerned about getting to 500F because the pellets fly out the door at that temp. Now I reverse sear my rib eye on my Grillgrates on the BBQ and it is great.
My advice to all the 22 owners: Change to a 575 or higher, if you can, you will not regret it

well cooking some ribs right now......air temp is 89 and humid, smoker has been on the smoke setting since 10 this morning.....the temps are running again 200 and 225. The Pro 22 won't maintain any temps below 200.....gotta say I'm really disappointed in the Traeger quality. I researched for months before buying, what a waste of money. I've got to question why bother putting a temp control on it at all?? Buyer beware

well cooking some ribs right now......air temp is 89 and humid, smoker has been on the smoke setting since 10 this morning.....the temps are running again 200 and 225. The Pro 22 won't maintain any temps below 200.....gotta say I'm really disappointed in the Traeger quality. I researched for months before buying, what a waste of money. I've got to question why bother putting a temp control on it at all?? Buyer beware
I hear you... I have a Junior Elite and having the same issues with temperature swings. On my third controller and it still does not maintain temperature consistency. Treager support is basically useless so I will not ever call them. again if I don't need to...

I hear you... I have a Junior Elite and having the same issues with temperature swings. On my third controller and it still does not maintain temperature consistency. Treager support is basically useless so I will not ever call them. again if I don't need to...
I had a Junior Elite for several years, it was always all over the place on temperature. It was light weight and not sealed at all so it was influenced by everything. My Timberline is night in day better. Also, I just installed insulation between its outer and inner walls and now it is super stable and accurate. The older units are pretty primitive.

Last edited:
You have to be a bit fairer with your comments. The Pro 22 is the bottom of the line model (where I am at least) and there will be features that are missing. Since I changed from my 22 to a 575 I haven't looked back. I have no complaints and I don't care if it doesn't reach 500f. Once I had the software correct every cook I have done is easy and I look forward to each cook with enthusiasm. Today I am doing a Boston Butt.

Would love to see some replies to this one. I have a Pro 22 that I've used 3 times. The 1st 2 times was on flat out high and it held temp within 10D the whole time. Yesterday I tried a 7 hour cook at 225D. The last hour, though, it jumped to 275+ and I couldn't get it to cool down.
So far, I'm really liking the unit, but this concerns me a bit.

Mine exact same thing on the 3rd smoke and my Pro 22 is in the shade, however, it was 90dgrees outside and high humidity... please don't tell me my pro 22 isn't worth the $600 into it...

So first 2 times were with only a couple things in there cooking, the third was 10 thighs so it was covered with meat... maybe that plays tricks on the temp prob which i assume is that tall rod on the left.

I think i'm gonna use my Maverick Probe on the top shelf close to the smoke stack and see what it reads while doing my next smoke...

You have to be a bit fairer with your comments. The Pro 22 is the bottom of the line model (where I am at least) and there will be features that are missing. Since I changed from my 22 to a 575 I haven't looked back. I have no complaints and I don't care if it doesn't reach 500f. Once I had the software correct every cook I have done is easy and I look forward to each cook with enthusiasm. Today I am doing a Boston Butt.

HOWEVER, I've been meat smoking for YEARS with side wood/charcoal baskets smokers.... I've had probably 8 different smokers I collected and rebuilt and sold.... I dealt with UNsteady temps for all those years and NEVER did it ruin one of my smokes, Briskets, 100lbs of pork butt, RIBS once a week, duck, turkeys, loins, ... everything.
I guess I'm happy that the Traeger at least HOLDS them BETTER than a wood smoker...
(HOWEVER that 575 is real tempting and probably in my future for sure)

I had big temp swings with my Pro 22, eventually sent me a new controller and sort of fixed things. I don't know if you clean your probe after each cook but I got caught out on that one. Without a clean the temp is way off, so a damp clean cloth and was more stable. I gave away the Pro22 mainly because of the temp swings but I also had shutdowns during a cook and had extreme temp climbs where it just kept going up and had to shut it down. I had some great cooks but I had to draw a line somewhere and gave it away.

I had the Pro22 and sold it for many of the reasons stated here. My temperatures were varying by as much as 80F. When you are trying to cook a brisket at say 225 and your temp goes as high as 300 and then drops to 175 you have problems. And then the fire would go out, happened a few times and that is hell to play with a brisket. Eventually I was sent a new controller and a few of the problems left.
I had lost my desire to cook anymore and eventually sold it.
But my low and slow instinct got to me, I couldn't do without a Traeger.
Three months later I bought the 575 and it is fantastic and I have been happy ever since.
I am not so concerned about getting to 500F because the pellets fly out the door at that temp. Now I reverse sear my rib eye on my Grillgrates on the BBQ and it is great.
My advice to all the 22 owners: Change to a 575 or higher, if you can, you will not regret it

Even tho there are also quit the posts on this site of the 575 doing the same thing as the Pro 22

Back