RTD Sensor. Did I break it?

jpg51998

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I’m not sure if I knocked the cap off my RTD TEMP sensor. If that’s what it’s called. Is this what it’s supposed to look like ? I bumped something when taking off the top rack and am not sure if it’s what I hit.

Attachments

• 04473814-D0E5-454F-BAB1-A79E3F4456AC.jpeg
    04473814-D0E5-454F-BAB1-A79E3F4456AC.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,262
Looks broken to me. It's in a poorly protected position considering constantly removing grids. It looks like you used your Ironwood maybe twice so far. How is it affecting operation? I'd send a pic to Traeger on the Facebook page. I did and they sent me a new one.

This is the second time I’ve used it other than the setup part. As long as it’s a simple fix, which I hope it is, I won’t be too upset. Im not sure how to tell if it’s affecting anything. It seems to be fine so far

You should get a new one no matter what...

This is the second time I’ve used it other than the setup part. As long as it’s a simple fix, which I hope it is, I won’t be too upset. Im not sure how to tell if it’s affecting anything. It seems to be fine so far
If it's working, it will probably be OK, but may fail sooner if not protected. Threading in a new probe is a bit fiddly but doable.

You can put a dab of high temp cement on it to protect it again;

I'd submit pics and get a new one if possible but as long as that one's working, I'd just stock the new one until I needed it.

I’m not sure if I knocked the cap off my RTD TEMP sensor. If that’s what it’s called. Is this what it’s supposed to look like ? I bumped something when taking off the top rack and am not sure if it’s what I hit.
no expert but i would say yes its broken. hopefully it wont be a hard or expensive fix

Head on out to https://www.facebook.com/TraegerPelletGrills and post a pic of it in a message. They will send you a new one. It only takes 3 minutes according to this video.
;)

It looks like it has two wires fused together at the tip.
Maybe you just knocked off the protector and might could still be be inside the grill.
If it still works and you find the tip, you may be able to reinstall it and move on...
Maybe clean the tip with a soft brush.
Does the temperature still register?

Last edited:
I might just buy one just to have one, that's not bad $$

Hell I spend more just playing "follow the leader" with accessories I haven't even used yet...

only $24 for that??? no wonder they are 🤬 :poop:

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if that one has any changes over the initial ones they used in the Ironwoods.

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if that one has any changes over the initial ones they used in the Ironwoods.
I don't know but that's the cheapest cost anywhere for that

And FREE shipping... I got one just for grins, if I break mine I'm swapping without waiting.

It looks like it has two wires fused together at the tip.
Maybe you just knocked off the protector and might could still be be inside the grill.
If it still works and you find the tip, you may be able to reinstall it and move on...
Maybe clean the tip with a soft brush.
Does the temperature still register?
Yes, thermocouple's are just that, two dissimilar metals spot welded together. They create a tiny voltage that varies with temperature. They are simple and take very high heat. The tip is to protect the wires from corroding away, ash is very corrosive. So a bare probe will work but it will fail much sooner if not protected.

Yes, thermocouple's are just that, two dissimilar metals spot welded together. They create a tiny voltage that varies with temperature. They are simple and take very high heat. The tip is to protect the wires from corroding away, ash is very corrosive. So a bare probe will work but it will fail much sooner if not protected.
In pipelines, they insert a thermowell into the pipe and the RTD goes inside the well.
This protects the RTD from whatever is flowing inside the pipe...
The RTD welded tip should not really be left unprotected because a coating can form on the tip and mess up the accuracy.
It will work but over time, the measurement can be affected.
Interesting that in a cooking forum technology has made its way in.
Puertex

InkBird

Latest Discussions

Back