Ribs on the Ironwood 650

DannyBBQ

Reaction score
Grill
IRONWOOD 650
Cooking for larger crowd and was curious if others are using the top shelf to put ribs or using a rib rack?

I'm thinking I can use top and bottom racks and put about 5 racks of ribs, Anybody else have good success with this?

Absolutely Danny BBQ , you sure can. Now if they are Saint Louis Style ribs they will take up more space, baby backs probably 2 more racks. Great success, it's all got to do with the prep work and getting your ribs ready and seasoned. and of course temperature, low and slow IF you have the time

I almost always do St. Louis ribs. I can get 3 - 3.5 lbs. racks on the bottom shelf. It seems to take a lot longer to cook 3 racks than it takes to cook 2 racks. Do you have any idea about whether cooking 2 racks on the bottom shelf and 1 rack on the bottom shelf will be faster than cooking 3 racks on only the bottom shelf?

In theory these grills are like convection ovens, with good air circulation all over. That said, the lower shelf is bound to be hotter from closer location to the radiant heat from the fire below.

I would probably rotate them.

In theory these grills are like convection ovens, with good air circulation all over. That said, the lower shelf is bound to be hotter from closer location to the radiant heat from the fire below.

Good idea. Thanks.

The lower shelf on the Ironwood has two settings. You can pull it out and slide back in about 2 inches higher than the normal grid level. I use that for smoking things.

Back