Ribs on rack or grate

daddyscooltv

Grill Master of the Month
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
I'm going to be attempting ribs for the 1st time this weekend. I have the rib racks that came with my Traeger. Should I cook the ribs in the rack or just lay them on the grate? Is there really any difference?

thanks,

I'm going to be attempting ribs for the 1st time this weekend. I have the rib racks that came with my Traeger. Should I cook the ribs in the rack or just lay them on the grate? Is there really any difference?

thanks,
I’ve done both ways. I prefer laying on grill grate. I feel like later in the cook the ribs start to bend all sorts of ways or start touching each other as they loosen up on the rack. Also, when I cook ribs I usually have 3-4 racks on the grill and like to do different bbq sauces (or leave one plain for certain company) so I don’t want everything touching. I have just found personally that my rib rack causes me more headaches.

I’ve done both ways. I prefer laying on grill grate. I feel like later in the cook the ribs start to bend all sorts of ways or start touching each other as they loosen up on the rack. Also, when I cook ribs I usually have 3-4 racks on the grill and like to do different bbq sauces (or leave one plain for certain company) so I don’t want everything touching. I have just found personally that my rib rack causes me more headaches.

Thanks for the info..

If laying them down I'm guessing bone side down?

I agree. I prefer laying ribs directly on the grates. I do bone down for smoking then when I wrap them I do meat side down.

I agree. I prefer laying ribs directly on the grates. I do bone down for smoking then when I wrap them I do meat side down.
Interesting I’ve always done bone side down the entire time. Do you find once wrapped that the meat side down helps with IT cooking temps or what’s the thought process? Here to learn!

I do meat side down when wrapped because the foil traps the juices and with the meat down it cooks directly in its own juices. If did bone down the the juice doesn’t get to the meat as well. That’s just my opinion.

Attachments

• 2C8BC080-3B1C-4DB7-85B2-90143444528B.jpeg
    2C8BC080-3B1C-4DB7-85B2-90143444528B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
  • FA8E5E49-7BE3-47B1-9A39-D3371E296A47.jpeg
    FA8E5E49-7BE3-47B1-9A39-D3371E296A47.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 212
Exactly how I’ve done mine for years.

I do meat side down when wrapped because the foil traps the juices and with the meat down it cooks directly in its own juices. If did bone down the the juice doesn’t get to the meat as well. That’s just my opinion.

I'll have to give that a shot next time. Thanks for the tip!

Heck of an idea. Makes sense. I’m gonna try that thanks

Heck of an idea. Makes sense. I’m gonna try that thanks

Yes it does make sense and it didn't even cross my mind. Probably because every photo I've seen of ribs are on the grill is meat side up!

Photos look great, congrats on the successful smoke!

Back