Ribs are a bit too fall off the bone

psdcarlos

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger 22 Pellet Grill
Hello folks, I recently smoked up 3 racks of baby back and they turned out great. I did however want them to hang on the bone a bit more. They were sliding right off and I wasn’t able to cut them individually.

Again, the ribs were great, meat was juicy and all but I want to give my family and friends something they can hold and bite on. Any idea on how to achieve this goal?

Here is my recipe plus cook:
• Seasoned with Holy Cow rub
• Let sit over night in refrigerator
• Cook for 2:45 hours at 275 unwrapped meat face down
• Take out at 2:45 hours and wrap in foil with brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup
• Throw back in to smoker for 2:00 hours
• Take and let rest in foil for 20-30 mins

Entire cook is done at 275 degrees

TIA for your response.

Lower the temp a little or shorten the cook time. I’d try it at 250° next time.

For reference, I did two racks last weekend using 3-2-1 at 225°, used butcher paper instead of foil, and they took the full 6 hours. They had just the right amount of hang-on-the-bone.

Also, sugar is a natural meat tenderizer so that will affect texture the way you prepared them vs someone who just does a spice rub. Maybe dial back the sugar or maple syrup next time too.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

Last edited:
Shorter time wrapped if you are at 275, wrapping is when the all the softening occurs...
I also agree with Realmen.
You cooked FACE down, I cook BONE down, and if they were face down in the wrap then that's too much cooking on the meat....

HOWEVER, we have a local BBQ joint that sells "Pulled Ribs".... So you could have Served your fall off as "boneless rib meat" and acted like it was planned...LOL

My Recipe for St. Louis Style Spare Ribs

HARDWOOD: Cherry, Apple, Signature, or Reserve Blend

COOK TIME: Approximately 6 Hours (depends on how well your grill holds temp)

EQUIPMENT:
* Large Aluminum Pan
* Large Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
* Meat racks

INGREDIENTS:
* St. Louis Style Spare Ribs
* Your favorite pork rub
* Liquid butter
* Agava or Clover Honey
* Brown Sugar
* Sauce of Choice

PREPARATION:

1. Prepare the ribs the night before.
* Remove Membrane if not done by your butcher
* Trim excess fat off the ribs and trim to size
* Place the ribs on a meat rack; place the meat rack in a large aluminum pan.
* Coat the ribs with a light coating of yellow mustard (this will hold the rub in place)
* Apply your rib rub
* Refrigerate Overnight

YOUR COOK:

1. Pre-heat your smoker to 225 (Super Smoke if you have that capability)

2. While leaving the ribs on the meat rack, remove the meat rack from the aluminum pan.

3. Set your meat probe for 160

4. Smoke ribs until internal meat temp reaches 160.

5. Pull the ribs off the grill at 160.

6. Set your grill temp for 250.

7. On 2 sheets of aluminum foil, lay down a bed of brown sugar, liquid butter and honey (or Agava), and sprinkle with some of your rib rub.

8. Place your ribs meat side down on the bed of brown sugar, butter and honey (or Agava) and wrap tightly with two more sheets of aluminum foil.

9. Return the ribs to the grill and set your probe for 200 degrees.

10. Once the meat reaches 200 degrees, remove the ribs from the grill, uncover and glaze the ribs with your favorite sauce.

11. Return the ribs (unwrapped and glazed) back to the grill for another 10-15 minutes until the glaze sets.

12. Remove the ribs, let rest for 15 minutes, slice and serve.

Thank you all for the feedback, I will cook bone down next time, previous ribs did have a strong outer layer which I think was cause by cooking face down for so long.

I will also be cutting back on the foil time.

Hello folks, I recently smoked up 3 racks of baby back and they turned out great. I did however want them to hang on the bone a bit more. They were sliding right off and I wasn’t able to cut them individually.

Again, the ribs were great, meat was juicy and all but I want to give my family and friends something they can hold and bite on. Any idea on how to achieve this goal?

Here is my recipe plus cook:
• Seasoned with Holy Cow rub
• Let sit over night in refrigerator
• Cook for 2:45 hours at 275 unwrapped meat face down
• Take out at 2:45 hours and wrap in foil with brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup
• Throw back in to smoker for 2:00 hours
• Take and let rest in foil for 20-30 mins

Entire cook is done at 275 degrees

TIA for your response.
Sounds kind of like what I did. Same cook temps and times before and after the wrap. I followed the Meat Church rib recipe, which said bone side down first then meat side down after wrapping. The bones pulled right out of the meat. Tasted great. My take was MC did St. Louis ribs I did baby backs which are smaller. Probably should have adjusted cook time/temp accordingly. Oh well they didn't go to waste.

I don’t wrap my ribs at all and enjoy ribs with a bit of fight. I rinse with water, then rub with white vinegar, slather with mustard, and season with rub. I cook at 225 on super smoke meat side down for 2 hours then flip to bone side down till finished. I mop them periodically.

Thank you all for the feedback, I will cook bone down next time, previous ribs did have a strong outer layer which I think was cause by cooking face down for so long.

I will also be cutting back on the foil time.

Late reply here...definitely 3-2-1 at 225 for competition bite. My wife loves fall off the bone, but competition ribs you should be able to leave a bite mark in the ribs. Meaning you bite into it and only that portion of the meat comes with.

I do 3-2-1 at 225 the entire time. I’ve done 6 racks in my ironwood 885 and all turned out equal. For the “2” butcher wrap or foil wrap with a little Apple cider vinegar.

Have fun!

Attachments

• 1BEC33C1-C384-4AC9-9A91-3C875CAFDE09.jpeg
    1BEC33C1-C384-4AC9-9A91-3C875CAFDE09.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 499BF531-11D4-44BA-A271-615A52F836BC.jpeg
    499BF531-11D4-44BA-A271-615A52F836BC.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 88
* Remove Membrane if not done by your butcher

Removing that membrane is important... however the only EZ way I have ever found was to run faucet HOT water on the membrane side of the ribs only, the membrane turns white and it's very easy to grab a corner and peel... but since I just exposed my meat to hot water, I always do this right before applying my mustard, RUB then cooking right away...

Removing that membrane is important... however the only EZ way I have ever found was to run faucet HOT water on the membrane side of the ribs only, the membrane turns white and it's very easy to grab a corner and peel... but since I just exposed my meat to hot water, I always do this right before applying my mustard, RUB then cooking right away...
If you haven't tried using paper towel to remove the membrane, it may be worth a shot. Just get a corner started and use the paper towel to grip the membrane with and pull. You won't slip off and it should peel right off.
It works well for me

YEAH I have... maybe I need better paper towel but for me it's EZ street using HOT water.

Depending on my mood, my one-ness with the anti- “my way or the Highway” crowd, or how much free timeI have available...I always remove the membrane.
To gain a “grab point”, I start with the handle of a spoon,. If necessary, I move on to a butter knife, and, as a final solution, I use the tip of a chopstick to open up a grab point. I grab with 2 squares of paper towel, and give a mighty pull.
I have recently been seeing reports of some professionals merely closely scoring the membrane before Traegeri’, so may give that a try next time I do a head-to-head...
Sailing and Traegerin’.... learn something every time out!

The three pack of ribs I buy at Costco have the membrane removed already. Easy street for me!

OH WOW, that's a new one on me... I have a Restaurant Depot 5 miles away so I like that place for rock bottom meat but I'll have to see these membrane free ribs at Cosco

Latest Discussions

Back