reverse sear rib eyes

jdeere2032r

Reaction score
Grill
pro575
I did the reverse sear rib eyes I seasoned them with a rub i just found called cooter rub by a company called gator hammock i traegered them until the internal tempeture reached 125 then instead of turning the traeger up to 400 like the recipe said i put them on my weber at 450 to reverse sear them they came out nice and tender

Attachments

• ribeye1.jpg
    ribeye1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 112
  • ribeye2.jpg
    ribeye2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 105
  • ribeye3.jpg
    ribeye3.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 105
I do my steaks the same way, it's easier to clean the Weber. My traeger ironwood is a great smoker and good for burgers, roasts, ribs and chicken but try to sear a steak and it makes too much of a mess. If traeger has an R&D dept, they're asleep at the switch or hiding. A little more attention to detail and they'd have a winner.

I thought the marbling was a sight to behold until I saw your plated pic. Beautifully done!

If you want your traeger to get a great sear then I highly recommend sear grates! But I do admit I use my Weber kettle for doing steaks, mainly because that’s what I’ll be using in a competition if it doesn’t get postponed.

Why not use a cast iron griddle or pan to sear on the Traeger after? I’d rather deal with 1 cleanup vs. 2. I do basically the same method and keep my cast iron in the Traeger, take off meat at desired temp, turn up Traeger to max, then sear on the cast iron.

Quick question for anyone: What's the temp and normal time for the first smoke/cook before searing? Thanks....

Quick question for anyone: What's the temp and normal time for the first smoke/cook before searing? Thanks....

It depends on what you want to have them finished at. I like medium rare so I usually pull them at 125* then sear for about 3 mins on each side, then rest them.

Even with the seating grates my Traeger does a pretty mediocre job of searing anything. I bought a single burner portable stove that uses the small butane canisters (the kind they use to make omlets at brunches) for $20. After smoking on my Traeger I heat up a cast iron skillet on the single burner and finish steaks off with a nice sear. Turns out great.

Thanks for the info...and what's your starting temp?

I’ve mastered my version of reverse seared ribeye (or fillet) in 5 easy-peasy steps. BEST steak ever. I use cast iron skillet on my stovetop Not my smoker. I’ve tried it on the Traeger but it doesn’t get hit enough for a good crisp. Enjoy!

1 Apply salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder heavily to all exterior of steak.

2 Refrigerate steak overnight Uncovered to slightly dry our the exterior for a better crisp.

3 Cook at 200 degrees until internal temp is 115 for Medium rare. (Wife likes her more done than me so she gets outside slices and I get inside).

4 Heat cast iron skillet on oven cooktop on high heat and turn on stove fan.

5 Once heated, drop a pat of butter and once it melts (think 2-3 seconds) put steak in butter for one minute both sides and all edges. I use tongs. Slice and enjoy!

I’ve mastered my version of reverse seared ribeye (or fillet) in 5 easy-peasy steps. BEST steak ever. I use cast iron skillet on my stovetop Not my smoker. I’ve tried it on the Traeger but it doesn’t get hit enough for a good crisp. Enjoy!

1 Apply salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder heavily to all exterior of steak.

2 Refrigerate steak overnight Uncovered to slightly dry our the exterior for a better crisp.

3 Cook at 200 degrees until internal temp is 115 for Medium rare. (Wife likes her more done than me so she gets outside slices and I get inside).

4 Heat cast iron skillet on oven cooktop on high heat and turn on stove fan.

5 Once heated, drop a pat of butter and once it melts (think 2-3 seconds) put steak in butter for one minute both sides and all edges. I use tongs. Slice and enjoy!
Interesting, Thanks.

Here’s how I do my Traeger’d Reverse Sear thick cut steaks.
I put my heavily salted steak, racked, in the refer for 8-12 hours, then bring it out to sit on the counter for 1-1/2 hours to warm up. Then season it heavily with coars—ground pepper and TR Coffee Rub.
180* Traeger’d to internal of 115* (can take upwards of 1-1/2 hours+).
Meanwhile, I heat up my cast iron skillet in a preheated 450* oven for at least 30 minutes.
I pull the beautifully smoked steak off the Traeger and tent with foil for about 10 minutes to rest.
I put the super hot cast iron skillet on my largest stove burner, set on HIGH. Couple of tablespoons of butter and a couple of crushed garlic cloves til melted. Add steak, and spoon garlic/butter over steak about 2 minutes per side.
Enjoy!

Has anybody placed a steak directly on a clean drip pan to sear it?
I think it can be done.

Last edited:
Back