Request for Suggestions from Rookie-Sophomore smoking folks

GTDjr

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I got an Ironwood 850 about 6 months ago. I ordered an upright freezer about 8 months ago. I have had the Ironwood for 6 months. I got my freezer today. I have to drive about 75 miles to a Costco. I have successfully smoked ribs, butts, chickens, and salmon. I did smoke a beef prime rib and decided that smoking is not the optimal way to cook prime rib. Now that I have a freezer, I am planning a trip to Costco. I expect to buy some better quality ribs and butt than I can find locally. I hope to try brisket, beef short ribs, and bacon a soon as I can get high quality meat. I prefer to try the easier recipes first and graduate to the more difficult recipes later.

I will appreciate any comments or suggestions that you might be willing to provide.

We picked up a 15.5 lb package of untrimmed Beef Loin Top Loin Whole (New York) USDA Prime on Black Friday Weekend when it was selling for $8.99/lb less $25 for the package via coupon ... I would recommend picking up a 12-20 lb package of the same and cutting the thickness to your liking and trim off the excess fat ... they price these at $3-$4 less per pound then the packages they put out for sale with 3-4 steaks ... We're down to our final 2 and will be picking up another package next time we see them out, or will ask the Butcher Manager to set one aside for us (we usually go 1-2x every couple weeks) ... They do something similar with the Beef Tenderloins as well (Filet Mignon) ... once we clear out some freezer space, we may pick up one of those as well ...

The Tri-Tip's @ Costco are very good - usually you can get them seasoned or unseasoned ... great selection of Pork Products ... and we always keep a couple packages of their chilled Chicken Breasts frozen ...

If you don't have one, get the FoodSaver vacuum sealer and an extra box of bags (both of these go on sale regularly @ Costco) ...

I did smoke a beef prime rib and decided that smoking is not the optimal way to cook prime rib.
Smoked prime rib can be awesome. I like it much better than cooked in the kitchen oven. How did you season, and cook it?

What exactly are you considering high quality meat? I get my meat ( brisket, pork butts, chicken, pork ribs)from Sams club, local grocery meat department and walmart. And I usually buy choice brisket. I also dont cook stuff the EXACT same way each time. I switch up rubs, sauces, brines, injections etc.

Last edited:
What exactly are you considering high quality meat? I get my meat ( brisket, pork butts, chicken, pork ribs)from Sams club, local grocery meat department and walmart. And I usually buy choice brisket. I also dont cook stuff the EXACT same way each time. I switch up rubs, sauces, brines, injections etc.
Choice or better.

Back