Removing metal shelf in hopper

ScottSmith

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I’m planning to remove the angled/holey metal shelf that is installed in the new 850s in the hopper to make it easier to clean out the hopper and change wood flavors. Is there any good reason I shouldn’t do that as long as I promise not to stick my fingers in the auger?

I’m planning to remove the angled/holey metal shelf that is installed in the new 850s in the hopper to make it easier to clean out the hopper and change wood flavors. Is there any good reason I shouldn’t do that as long as I promise not to stick my fingers in the auger?

All good ... my method of changing out pellets is to use a cup (or my hands) to empty out the hopper from the top down until I can see the auger ... then dump in the new pellets ... the old pellets in the auger will burn up during the IGNITE phase ... the hopper door is fairly useless - you will end up spilling out some pellets and spending more time changing out / cleaning up afterwards ...

All good ... my method of changing out pellets is to use a cup (or my hands) to empty out the hopper from the top down until I can see the auger ... then dump in the new pellets ... the old pellets in the auger will burn up during the IGNITE phase ... the hopper door is fairly useless - you will end up spilling out some pellets and spending more time changing out / cleaning up afterwards ...
Couldn't agree more, after using the hopper door a couple of times I discovered one of my favorite pains, stepping on loose pellets with bare feet!

I keep a small Phillips bit by the grill so that I can remove the protective grate when clearing out the hopper. I always put it back because who knows who’s gonna walk by during a 15 hr smoke. The hopper lid doesn’t lock and last thing I want is a kid losing fingers because I was too lazy to put it back. I believe Traeger grills are able to receive an IP rating because of this grate protecting fingers from being able to come into contact with moving parts.

On my Ironwood, I removed the screws that hold it in place, removed the safety shield, reinserted the screws, and simply rest the shield in place and lift it out when I need access to the hopper.

I removed mine but I also don’t have any small children this could come by and stick their fingers in the auger.

I’ve seen several innovative ideas for swapping pellets.
  • A cup or other device to scoop the pellets out
  • A “Bucket Head” vacuum from Home Depot
  • I, personally, use a piece of cardboard to direct pellets out of the back and into a bucket so I don’t lose any pellets

I removed mine but I also don’t have any small children this could come by and stick their fingers in the auger.

• I, personally, use a piece of cardboard to direct pellets out of the back and into a bucket so I don’t lose any pellets

Smacks forehead, great idea, a simple cardboard chute! Nice!

I of course went for the buckethead, pellets tended to get stuck in the small stiff hose so while it sounded good, it wasn't.

Augers turn very slow, and way at the bottom of a hopper filled with pellets, my shield is long gone. The previous generations never had shields, but I'm sure someone managed to hurt themselves.

Well I feel like an idiot now, never thought about the cardboard idea! Maybe I’ll 3D print a shoot!

I just removed the 2 screws on the right instead of all 4. I just bend it up when I need to empty pellets, then bend it back. I have kids so definitely need to be more cautious. Plus my son likes stirring the pellets when they begin to tunnel.

While I have no kids or people that would shove their hand in the Auger, I just loosen the 2 screws on the pellet grill and it comes right out, then push the residual into one of the 5 Gal Bucket labeled with the appropriate pellet label under the pellet shoot.
Then at the end slip the grid back in and tighten the screws....

My screen has slots instead of holes so once the screen is removed the screws can be tightened part way and I can set the screen slots on the screws. On my Ironwood 650 the hopper door sits over the wheel so I have to balance the bucket on the wheel. Might try the cardboard next time. Truth is once the screen is out I used a big plastic beer cup and got it emptied fast enough.
In a related thread someone mentioned the IP 23 rating. The 2 stands for finger protection.

Last edited:
Well I feel like an idiot now, never thought about the cardboard idea! Maybe I’ll 3D print a shoot

This is my chute, light ply construction and attaches with strip magnets.

I do the same. Unplug the grill, remove the metal screen, hold a bucket under the clean out and use my hand as a shovel to clear the hopper. Takes a max of 30 seconds.

I store my diff pellets in 5gal buckets with lids, so it's real easy to just hold it under the clean out and fill the bucket back it came from if I wanna switch flavors. The End

This is my chute, light ply construction and attaches with strip magnets.

That’s awesome, totally making one this weekend!

Latest Discussions

Back