Pellets Real difference in pellets' flavor?

jklingel

Reaction score
I've been smoking salmon for many years, and really can't tell the difference in flavor among the various wood species I use. I smoke the fishpretty heavily, too. When using the pellets in a Traeger, and not really smoking, per se, can you really tell the difference in the meat between, say, apple and pecan, or hickory, etc?

Hickory and mesquite, in my opinion, can leave a bitter taste in some meats like chicken or turkey if low smoked too long with dense smoke.
Pecan I have not used on its own. For Pork, I like my custom blend of equal parts hickory, mesquite, and cherry or Pit Boss makes a blend called "The Fruits" I like for most things. I have tasted a noticeable decrease in smoke flavor using the Pit Boss Competition Blend on both my Traeger and My Pit Boss XL compared to other pellets.

well i'll be. i will perhaps have to pay attention to what chucks are burning. right how, i just pick up a bag and dump it in when the first one is running low, so i often have some unknown blend. we've only cooked about 10 times now, and everything is just great...... so far. i'll be careful with the hickory and mesquite; thanks.

I’ve tried Apple, Mesquite and Alder. Just bought Pecan and Hickory to try out too. The smoke smells different (mesquite being the strongest) but I can’t say there is a huge taste difference.

Alder, to me, smells like a burning warehouse pallet. Not necessarily a bad thing. Produces a lot of smoke but not much impact on flavor.

100% Oak Pellets is different than Oak, 100% Hardwood Pellets. The latter is usually an oak base with other things added. Just be aware.

I prefer BBQ delight pellets. More flavour in my opinion than Traeger pellets.

I get my pellets from a PA producer at a local hardware store and am testing hickory vs their premium hardwood pellet stove pellets. I honestly have been unable to notice any difference other than the obvious $$$ savings using the heating pellets.

I get my pellets from a PA producer at a local hardware store and am testing hickory vs their premium hardwood pellet stove pellets. I honestly have been unable to notice any difference other than the obvious $$$ savings using the heating pellets.

I have seen a lot online that says never use heating grade pellets, lots of non food safe additives in them. I will be interested to hear your reasoning and if you have further info on that ..

I burn pellets made by Kingdom Biofuels and gave them a shot after talking to some people about it and doing a little research. This company makes both grill pellets and stove pellets. There is no such thing as food grade pellets, though the manufacturers will try to tell you different. USDA does not have specs for food grade pellets. Ironically, at least in Canada there are specs for stove pellets and trash is not permissible in them. I did not find such legislation in the US but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Kingdom biofuels claims that they add nothing extraneous to their wood pellets but who's to say that none of them might not contain some sort of contamination. There is nothing added to bind them together. I find that these pellets make no more ash than genuine smoker grill pellets and they cost a little over $.15/lb as opposed to as much as $1.00/lb for smoker grill pellets and they burn just fine. Neither the wife nor I can tell the difference.

Will have to look into that, but if they are Canadian the likelihood I can find them in North Carolina is probably slim

Will have to look into that, but if they are Canadian the likelihood I can find them in North Carolina is probably slim
Those are made in PA but probably not available in NC. Find premium hardwood pellets and dig into the company. I know a few guys who use them and we all use different brands.

Back