Rack of Lamb - Input on Traeger app recipe vs your personal experience

Maverick

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I plan on smoking rack of lamb this weekend. Years ago on my first smoker I just seasoned them pretty well w Lowrys seasoning salt, smoked it over cherry wood chunks @ 200-225 and then finished it by searing the fat side on a cast iron. Let it rest, sliced and served. Nothing fancy but I remember it being good and everyone I made it for liked it even if they weren’t a fan of lamb.

Fast forward to today and I’m looking to do it on my Ironwood 885. The Traeger app has a recipe to preheat to 450 and cook for 30 mins. I don’t see how you’ll get any of the smoke you want cooking at that temp for such a short period of time.

Does anyone have any feedback on method, temp/time? The different feedback I’ve received on this site so far has been insightful and helpful. Appreciate it. 🇺🇸

I plan on smoking rack of lamb this weekend. Years ago on my first smoker I just seasoned them pretty well w Lowrys seasoning salt, smoked it over cherry wood chunks @ 200-225 and then finished it by searing the fat side on a cast iron. Let it rest, sliced and served. Nothing fancy but I remember it being good and everyone I made it for liked it even if they weren’t a fan of lamb.

Fast forward to today and I’m looking to do it on my Ironwood 885. The Traeger app has a recipe to preheat to 450 and cook for 30 mins. I don’t see how you’ll get any of the smoke you want cooking at that temp for such a short period of time.

Does anyone have any feedback on method, temp/time? The different feedback I’ve received on this site so far has been insightful and helpful. Appreciate it. 🇺🇸
If it were me, I’d smoke it at 225 until it was about 15-20 degrees below my desired final IT, and then sear it on my gasser or in a hot cast iron or carbon steel skillet that had been in a 500 degree oven for a half hour or so, until it got to within 5 degrees of my final IT. Let it rest and enjoy

If it were me, I’d smoke it at 225 until it was about 15-20 degrees below my desired final IT, and then sear it on my gasser or in a hot cast iron or carbon steel skillet that had been in a 500 degree oven for a half hour or so, until it got to within 5 degrees of my final IT. Let it rest and enjoy
As of now that’s the direction I’m heading. If I do that method I need to figure out if I’m going to do a marinade like garlic/rosemary/olive oil or just a light seasoning. I plan on smoking a couple racks so maybe I’ll try a combo and see what turns out best. Thanks James.

As of now that’s the direction I’m heading. If I do that method I need to figure out if I’m going to do a marinade like garlic/rosemary/olive oil or just a light seasoning. I plan on smoking a couple racks so maybe I’ll try a combo and see what turns out best. Thanks James.
That marinade sounds awesome!
I love rosemary on lamb and poultry

I made "Whole Rack of Lamb by Anya Fernald" from the Traeger app twice and it's been great each time. I've been too cheap to buy sherry vinegar, so I substituted cooking sherry and lemon juice.

Smoke, then sear sounds like a good plan. I would definitely do the marinade you mentioned, and if you are brave add some anchovies to that mix, just a couple... it won't make it fishy just a great form of seasoning.

I made "Whole Rack of Lamb by Anya Fernald" from the Traeger app twice and it's been great each time. I've been too cheap to buy sherry vinegar, so I substituted cooking sherry and lemon juice.
Thanks for commenting Mayfield. I saw that recipe. I guess what I’m not understanding is how is that much different then cooking over charcoal or propane since it’s fast/high heat? And curious...how tender was it using that method?

I like to rub my rack of lamb with Dijon mustard, season with salt, pepper, and herbes de provence, and add dried rosemary just because.

I did a prime rib recently using olive oil, salt, rosemary and parsley for a rub. I rubbed it down, wrapped it with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. I cooked it in the oven for 20 minutes @400 then at 225 in the smoker to 130, rest 15 minutes or so and it was as good as it gets. Lamb racks are smaller than prime ribs so I don't know what 20 minutes in there would do to them. I use the kitchen oven for the first step for two reasons 1) I don't think cooking in the smoker is going to add much smoke at those temps (I could be wrong on that) and 2) I don't have good luck getting the temp settled in when dropping from 400 to 225. I start the smoker about the same time I put the roast in the oven and it's good to go when it's time.

I did a prime rib recently using olive oil, salt, rosemary and parsley for a rub. I rubbed it down, wrapped it with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator for about 4 hours. I cooked it in the oven for 20 minutes @400 then at 225 in the smoker to 130, rest 15 minutes or so and it was as good as it gets. Lamb racks are smaller than prime ribs so I don't know what 20 minutes in there would do to them. I use the kitchen oven for the first step for two reasons 1) I don't think cooking in the smoker is going to add much smoke at those temps (I could be wrong on that) and 2) I don't have good luck getting the temp settled in when dropping from 400 to 225. I start the smoker about the same time I put the roast in the oven and it's good to go when it's time.
You bring up a great point about the temperature change settling. Another response I got on a different platform was to smoke @ 225 until internal temp reaches 110 and then reverse sear it until it hits 125-135. I also like the saran wrap idea. I plan on doing a similar rub. I’m debating between olive oil or Dijon as the binder. Thanks for the helpful input.

Thanks for commenting Mayfield. I saw that recipe. I guess what I’m not understanding is how is that much different then cooking over charcoal or propane since it’s fast/high heat? And curious...how tender was it using that method?
Sorry for the late reply Maverick. I made rack of lamb on my Weber several times, seems to go better with Traeger. Key is using the probe to cook to temperature. The recipes on the lamb package never cooked the lamb long enough. On the Traeger it's always come out tender and tasty.

Back