Quitting Tragering - too many faults, don't trust

GrillRaven

Reaction score
Grill
24"
I am quitting Tragering - I have a 24" unit that has failed each time I trust it with a smoke project.
I have purchased controllers and thermometers, and feed auger motors.
The unit fails halfway or flames out and must turn it off to stop the fire.

I am not going to buy any more parts, I'm done.

Attachments

• 2019-03-12 16.58.15.jpg
    2019-03-12 16.58.15.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 2019-03-12 16.58.27.jpg
    2019-03-12 16.58.27.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 2019-03-12 16.58.33.jpg
    2019-03-12 16.58.33.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 2019-03-12 17.01.14.jpg
    2019-03-12 17.01.14.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 114
Please share more details. I am on my fourth Traeger and the only reason i would quit Traegering is because it’s too easy and I got tired of cheating by avoiding some of the issues I have with charcoal etc.

what did customer service say?

BBQ07E 2014/3/4

I have a Stainless grille that is almost 20 years old and works perfectly - not four grills in that period.

Other problems, doesn't hold temp, won't work in cold weather, feed stops at 50% of bin..

Last edited:
Looks like it might be the Lil Tex Elite 22? If so, I had a lot of issues with that model as well. Traeger finally swapped it for me, but it was still under the 3 yr warranty when they did. They tried to send me an Eastwood 22 because the Lil Tex was discontinued, but after a few more phone cals, they sent me a Pro 22 instead.

Face it, as I learned from my older model (Junior Elite), that the state of the art was more primitive back then. It worked, but there were occasional misfires, like the time I had a auger fire in the middle of cooking our Thanksgiving Turkey.

I made modifications, imagine that, to improve the sealing, was careful about wind direction etc. but knew it could be much better. I held out for many years and then looked closely at the latest generation (2019) and chose the Timberline. The Junior was like a proof of concept pellet grill, the Timberline fixed everything I knew needed fixing, plus things I'd only wished for.

Is it perfect? nope, but very close, and with a few tweaks here and there it's a joy to use. A year and a half now, and it still looks like new.

Pellet grills are inherently more "fiddly" than gas grills, I too have a beautiful stainless gas grill, it is 8 years old and looks perfect, it's consistent every time, and it sits idle, only because I prefer wood fired cooking.

Your gas grill is a valid choice and I'm sure it won't aggravate you, life is short, pick your battles.
Best of luck.

Last edited:
You are a bit short of information Grillraven. Are you here to seek help or just making a statement? A lot of knowledgeable people who could help you are in this forum.

You are a bit short of information Grillraven. Are you here to seek help or just making a statement? A lot of knowledgeable people who could help you are in this forum.

I'm moving on to Green Mountain. Just saying that I have had a bad experience from the beginning, and got no success from Traeger help. I'm probably not alone, just an unhappy experience....

Back