Questions about smoker settings

MGW

Reaction score
Grill
Tailgater Pellet Grill
I'm still getting used to my Traeger and I think I am beginning to understand a little bit about smoking. Still learning. I understand how there is more smoke at lower temperatures and less smoke at higher temperatures. If that's incorrect please let me know. I've been using 180 as my first stage for pretty much everything so far but lately I have been wondering about the Smoke setting. I wondered what might happen if I just left it on Smoke. Would there be more smoke? If so I would likely try smoking with it. So I left it on Smoke after startup and the temp quickly jumped to a little over 300 so I turned it to 180 and waited for it to stabilize. My controller was replaced on warranty a few weeks before I attempted this due to wildly fluctuating temps and a fire that would go out after a few fluctuations. The new controller has stopped the fire going out but the temps are still not as stable as I hoped and I don't know if the 300/Smoke thing is related to that issue or not. I'm considering trying an Ortech.

My questions are as follows:
Is it normal for the temp to spike if left on the Smoke setting? Did I panic too soon? Would the temp have come down and stabilize at something near or below 180 or would it have just kept climbing? Would there really be more smoke? Would an Ortech controller stabilize my temps in general? Would the Ortech also enable smoking on the Smoke setting?

Another question: To date I have only used Traeger pellets. Will these things run properly on other brands of pellets? I see other brands for sale where I live. Louisiana, Pit Boss and anther brand I can never remember the name of.

Thx

My Bronson 20 is similar to the tailgater, it always spikes on startup on the smoke setting. I let it stabilize at what ever temp it goes to. Ussually around 275. Then set it on the 180 setting and fan the lid to get temp to 200ish. Then let it stabilize on the 180 setting , it usually is close to 180. The put it back on smoke setting. Last weekend it was running at 154f on smoke for an hour or so.

Yes you get more smoke on the smoke setting.

I don’t know anything about the Ortech controllers.

A lot of members do not use the Traeger pellets.
Try another brand and see if you get a different result.

Also search the forum, there is all kinds of info you are looking for.

Timmy

I bought the Ortech TR-100 for my Tailgater. My warranty had run out and the dealer had already replaced my controller several times before it ran out so I went with Ortech thinking the Traeger controllers might be the problem. It has not solved my problem but instead has added confusion. I am still having the same problem as it has always had. It works fine for a few hours and then the fire goes out. Once cool I remove the grill, drip tray and firebox-cover and find ash and pellet dust everywhere and the pot is full of unburned and partially burned pellets. After every single use I have to sweep and vacuum out the ash and dust or it won't light because there is always some ash and dust even if I do manage to have a successful session and I believe the ash prevents the pellets contacting the hot-rod. I've checked it over. The auger is working. The fans are both working. The main fan is obviously working because the ash and dust collects more under the drip tray exit opening than it does near the firebox so it's obviously being blown all the way over there. The hot rod must be working because it starts up fine if I clean it out after every use. I use P-3 for smoke and P-2 for 180 and 225, which are recommended settings I found while researching the Ortech. I don't use any settings above 225. The confusion the new controller has created is a flashing zero which does not show up in the user guide troubleshooting page. There are other flashing codes defined in the guide but not flashing zero. I have also seen a solid zero with the flashing dots indicating the ignitor is on and that code is also not defined. This problem has persisted basically since day 1. I've used Traeger pellets as well as Louisiana and it makes no difference.

Latest Discussions

Back