Pulled pork trouble

It’s best to use time as a guideline, however temp is the real marker for completion. Since it finished at 204, it was on the mark for when you would normally pull off to rest.

the recipe doesn’t have another crucial element, which is towel and cooler rest. Once you reach the magic 203 or so, pull from the T, leave the foil/butcher paper on and wrap tightly in towel(s) and put in a cooler to let it rest for 1-2 hours. This part is essential for letting the juices recollect and settle down. I’ve left mine in a cooler for fours hours before and it came out juicy and still hot enough to burn your fingers when pulling by hand.

The tried and true method:
225 with super smoke until 160-165
Pull from T, wrap in foil. Add any beer, juice, cider, whatever you want, if desired
Continue at 225, turn off super smoke until internal temp is 203
Pull, wrap in towel, put in small cooler to rest for 2 hours.

BTW this approach is also reliable for brisket, except for the towel and cooler. Instead, I take it off and let it rest for 25 minutes at least before carving.

have fun!
Pinhead gives good advice, you might also think about using a inject-able marinade on your butts. I do on all mine and regardless if I let them sit or not, they will literally fall apart. - Gravy

Will try independent probe that I have
Thanx
Have you calibrated the Traeger probe?, mine was out 13F. I use the T probe but also have two other probes going with my Thermpro just to make sure on that final temp.

Pinhead gives good advice, you might also think about using a inject-able marinade on your butts. I do on all mine and regardless if I let them sit or not, they will literally fall apart. - Gravy
What do you use for inject marinade, I’m sure that it does what you say
Bob

What do you use for inject marinade, I’m sure that it does what you say
Bob

Bob , This recipe makes a quart. It can easily be made into larger amounts if needed, depending on the size of the shoulder, pork butts you are smoking.

3 1/4 Cups Apple juice
1/4 distilled white vinegar
1 pound sugar
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup Accent Flavor Enhancer or a Cajun seasoning blend.

In a large stock pot, combine the apple juice and vinegar over medium heat. Stirring continuously , pour in the sugar,salt and seasonings. Keep stirring until the seasonings are completely dissolved, but do not let the mixture come to a boil, When all the ingredients are completely dissolved, remove from heart completely cool, then pout it into a Quart size container, if your not using it right away, you can store it in the fridge up to 6 months

Bob , This recipe makes a quart. It can easily be made into larger amounts if needed, depending on the size of the shoulder, pork butts you are smoking.

3 1/4 Cups Apple juice
1/4 distilled white vinegar
1 pound sugar
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup Accent Flavor Enhancer or a Cajun seasoning blend.

In a large stock pot, combine the apple juice and vinegar over medium heat. Stirring continuously , pour in the sugar,salt and seasonings. Keep stirring until the seasonings are completely dissolved, but do not let the mixture come to a boil, When all the ingredients are completely dissolved, remove from heart completely cool, then pout it into a Quart size container, if your not using it right away, you can store it in the fridge up to 6 months
Mr G
Thank you for sharing your marinade recipe with me, can’t wait to try!

I just completed a 7lb pork butt and followed what everyone suggested and it came out great! I get worried when it 137 degrees at 10am but it kept going and wrapped at 165. I started at 4am, done at 3pm. Kept in Yete for two hours and was still hot. It came out perfect!

Had a bone in Boston butt 7-8 lbs. followed the treager recipe to a tee. 8 hours later ( internal temperature 204)it looked good (bark) but bone did not come out easy and the meat was tasty but didn’t pull well. The meat had a lighter color than I thought it would be, didn’t shred easily either,WHAT DID I DO WRONG!!!!!!
I would guess that maybe your thermometer was wrong or touching bone perhaps?
204 in the thickest of the meat should basically melt when you pull it.
Maybe compare/test with another probe and/or guage?
Moisture content plays a part as well.
I like to wrap at 160 then take out and rest inside a cooler at around 195+ until done.
You can't make great bbq without making some average stuff first ?

I would guess that maybe your thermometer was wrong or touching bone perhaps?
204 in the thickest of the meat should basically melt when you pull it.
Maybe compare/test with another probe and/or guage?
Moisture content plays a part as well.
I like to wrap at 160 then take out and rest inside a cooler at around 195+ until done.
You can't make great bbq without making some average stuff first ?
Thanx for the help
Bob

Latest Discussions

Back